REU experience vs Industry Experience?

anonystal

Hello everyone!

I’m planning to apply to PhD programs in either Pharmacology or Comparative Medicine next fall. However, I’m in a bit of a pickle. For context, I’m an upcoming third year university student and I’m currently working at a large pharmaceutical company. This is a great opportunity for me because I plan to work in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry after I obtain my PhD degree (fingers crossed). Admittedly, with my current position, I’m not as heavily involved in research as I’d like to be but I do get exposure to it. However, my company is offering to “promote” me to a study technician next summer where I will get more hands-on with their research projects. Although this is a fantastic offer, I was also debating on applying to REU programs for next summer. I have never formally presented a research poster and I’m concerned that PhD programs may favor REU experience over industry experience.

I understand that REU programs are notoriously difficult to get into so I’m wondering if there’s a point in applying when I already have a wonderful opportunity at my current company. I also get paid significantly more working there than I will at any REU program. If anyone could offer any advice or thoughts. I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you in advance :)!