SLP Graduate Applications -- Letters of Rec

ccspeechie

Question

Hi! For all of my grad school applications, they require 3 letters of rec. I already have the first 2 confirmed. As for the 3rd letter, I am deciding between two professors.

Professor A: I took her intro to comm disorders during the fall of sophomore year and received an A. She is also my advisor for NSSLHA which I am the co-president of (for my junior and senior year). She can speak on my academics as well as my communication skills, leadership skills, etc through NSSLHA. I thought she'd offer something new about my leadership skills since the other 2 professors I asked are speaking about my academics. 

Professor B: I took her hearing and speech sciences course during the spring of junior year and intro to audiology the summer between junior and senior year. I received a B in both classes. I worked my booty off in both classes and she knows how engaged and involved I was in the class. I would call her to clarify questions and to ask questions about my interests (such as how cleft palate relates to hearing impairments). I think Professor B knows me better but I was worried that the two B's would look "bad". FYI the second B I was .5 away from getting a B+. If I meet with her virtually, I can describe to her my involvement in NSSLHA and other ways I show my leadership skills. She can still speak on these skills but not as much on a personal level than professor A. 

Which professor would be best for my 3rd letter of rec?

2 answers to this question

I'd go with professor A, I think her letter would add to what is already being stated by your other recommenders. Just be sure to ask if she can write a strong letter of recommendation for you, if she says yes, then you're golden. 

If she has any reservations to that request, then go with professor B