PhD in Education with MA in Creative Writing?

dancewmoonlight

Question

Hi, all --

I'm stressing out about my eligibility moving forward. I'm interesting in PhD programs in education, specifically looking at faculty members' role in university students' mental health, as well as improving accessibility for university students with disabilities. I have found some incredible supervisors in Australia, but I don't know if I'm eligible for the programs.

I have a BA in Secondary Ed with a major in English and minor in Psychology. My MA is in Creative Writing with a creative thesis. I have now taught first-year writing (i.e., freshman composition) for four years.

At present, I'm not sure if I'd be eligible to apply for PhD programs in Education, especially for international universities. First, I'm not sure if my academic history is strong enough in the field. Secondly, I have zero background research*. In the US, I feel more confident applying in the US because they all have introductions to research in the PhD programs, but I don't see curriculum plans in most international programs. 

I've considered looking for research-based masters programs in Education to get my feet wet, but I'm concerned about funding. Plus, I'd just prefer going the PhD route. The MA isn't out of the question, though. Additionally, I could keep working at my university (or another) and try getting more research under my belt before applying, especially since I physically can't attend school if COVID is still in season (highly vulnerable).

Any suggestions?

* I'm starting a research project with others regarding the mental health of university students with disabilities. I'll be the third author (of four).

Edited by dancewmoonlight

1 answer to this question

I think you're confusing "eligibility to apply" with "likelihood of getting in."  The former should be clearly stated on the admissions website.  The latter is determined by the admissions committees, not any predetermined standards.  Besides your own self-doubt, what's stopping you from applying?  That's the surest way to know if you'll get in!