Ivy League Grad with Lower GPA

cmalcardi

Question

So I just graduated from an Ivy League school with a 3.4 GPA, and I'm looking to apply to English PhD programs. My GPA is low because I decided to double major in English and in another extremely hard area of study; I added my second difficult major simply because it interested me and I wanted to learn the material. However, my labor-intensive double major ate up lots of my time and made my GPA drop quite a bit. Is it possible for me to apply to some top programs and still get in even with my 3.4 GPA? Will the fact that I went to a top undergraduate school cancel out the fact that my GPA wasn't the best? 

2 answers to this question

I don't think your GPA completely excludes you, but the rest of your application would need to be strong.  A 3.4 from an Ivy League is still worth something (in my opinion).  Make sure you get strong letters of recommendation and possess a strong statement of purpose and writing sample.  The GRE is waived for most schools this cycle, but you should check with all of the schools you are seriously interested in to make certain of this.

26 minutes ago, cmalcardi said:

So I just graduated from an Ivy League school with a 3.4 GPA, and I'm looking to apply to English PhD programs. My GPA is low because I decided to double major in English and in another extremely hard area of study; I added my second difficult major simply because it interested me and I wanted to learn the material. However, my labor-intensive double major ate up lots of my time and made my GPA drop quite a bit. Is it possible for me to apply to some top programs and still get in even with my 3.4 GPA? Will the fact that I went to a top undergraduate school cancel out the fact that my GPA wasn't the best? 

Those with low grades who get into an Ivy League for GS have high positions in their organizations. But you would not know unless you try.  I suggest getting a good job if you do not feel that you are already competitive enough.