low GPA...is it worth applying???

ronqman

Hey so I have a 2.98 uGPA and I want to apply for PhD programs in biological oceanography/fisheries. I have a ton of research experience, including two long internships with different NOAA fisheries labs. It's about 4 years altogether of research experience and I have one paper (author 2 or 3 out of 3) to submit this fall and 2 more hopefully first author papers later this year. I know who I want to work with and I know exactly what I want out of a career, I'm just afraid my GPA is gonna scare some PIs away. I have terrible test anxiety so I have a ton of D's and even an F and most of these are in my core STEM classes (calc, physics, chem, bio). I don't want to waste money on applications if they're going to throw them right out, but I'm not sure if my research experience will outweigh that. Should I bother applying to PhD programs? Or maybe just focus on getting more experience or an MS?