PhD first author publication

Hello! I am a going into my second year as a PhD student in Cog Psyc. I have been working on two papers that I am the first author on. What is the typical experience for one's first publication as first author with their advisor? What is the typically workload break down? To what extent is/should the advisor be involved? Also, I know this is relative to the individual. I am speaking generally and more along the lines of what is typical. 

Any feedback would be wonderful! Thank you so much for your time. 

Be well, 

-SC

Edited by saraConnor

On 8/31/2020 at 8:15 AM, saraConnor said:

Hello! I am a going into my second year as a PhD student in Cog Psyc. I have been working on two papers that I am the first author on. What is the typical experience for one's first publication as first author with their advisor? What is the typically workload break down? To what extent is/should the advisor be involved? Also, I know this is relative to the individual. I am speaking generally and more along the lines of what is typical. 

Any feedback would be wonderful! Thank you so much for your time. 

Be well, 

-SC

My first-author publication with my advisor was a book review. This was treated as part of my work as her Graduate Research Assistant during my first semester/year. I spent the first semester reading the book (The Extended Self: Architecture, Memes and Minds) and typed our review's first draft. My advisor fleshed it out and sent it back to me over Winter Break. We sent the final draft to the journal of interest by the end of my first year.

Edited by Suraj_S

Thank you for the replies. Do either of you have any advice for getting feedback from an advisor? My advisor has told me to send sections of the draft (i.e., intro, results, discussion) as I write them. However, they have never read or provided feedback on any of these drafts (I've send the results twice and the intro once). From my understanding, an advisor is suppose to read and provide feedback on drafts but that is something that I am not getting. 

Thank you again! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, saraConnor said:

Thank you for the replies. Do either of you have any advice for getting feedback from an advisor? My advisor has told me to send sections of the draft (i.e., intro, results, discussion) as I write them. However, they have never read or provided feedback on any of these drafts (I've send the results twice and the intro once). From my understanding, an advisor is suppose to read and provide feedback on drafts but that is something that I am not getting. 

Thank you again! 

Other than my book review, the only two manuscripts my advisor reviewed were initially for classes she taught.

How long have you waited for feedback? My own advisor is usually very prompt, but there are all sorts of stories of MIA profs that I've heard (unfortunately)...