"Gladvisor"/"sadvisor"/"madvisor"

I think a typology of various shades of advisor mood could prove useful.

In my experience being advised (by three different professors), I have faced three shades of emotionality among them: glad, sad, and mad.*

I have noticed that gladvisor happens when I am a good student; sadvisor happens when I have been bad. Madvisor can happen when the advisor(s) feel(s) that the student has not done their due diligence. Madvisorn-ess can be changed via calming, genuine assurance on the student's part that the research will get done properly.

I don't mean for this to be about pointing figures, but I do think there could be value in discussing the more subjective and interpersonal (affective) dimensions of our advisor/advisee relations. The goal should always be gladvisor.

*Of course, any typology is necessarily reductive to some extent. Here, I settle on "glad", "sad", and "mad" because they meshed well into "advisor". Feel free to expound past this framework, work with a different one--or, invent your own!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Allbert said:

I am in my second year of my PhD in Anthropology and I feel abandoned my supervisor. I also feel like she doesn't like my work. Does anyone else feel that way?

I didn't feel abandoned by mine. I did experience frustration that my project's execution wasn't being grasped: expressing this to my advisors was a good thing.

Edited by Suraj_S