MIA after PhD

dpan

I was wondering if it would be feasible to and would worth doing a MIA (Master of International Affairs) after a PhD in Contemporary History.

A year ago I asked advice about a second PhD in Pol Sci (Chinese FP). Since then I have made some progress studying the language (now studying B1-HSK3 level) and I plan to take two Algebra and Stats online courses at an Extension school.

As a second PhD is still part of my plan, given the difficulty of being admitted at a top program and being employed by a Uni after several years of studying I would like to have some advice on doing a MIA, at Columbia or UCSD for example, specializing in Chinese foreign policy. What would the employment prospects be, mostly regarding IOs in the US or Europe? Would it be realistic to look for a second PhD at a top program (top 20) after that, if I still want to?

Last question; I did some research and 3-5 years of professional experience are required in order to be admitted. I have a year-long internship at my national Ministry of Foreign Affairs and my 7 years of master's and doctoral research in several countries, funded by more than two prestigious institutions. My research has led to presentations at international conferences and publications (one of which as a chapter in a collective volume by a prestigious publisher). Would this be enough?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by dpan

I'm sorry to say this, but I think a second PhD is probably not feasible.  I'm not saying that because you're not smart enough, but because many doctoral programs that I applied to last year (11 in political science/public policy, all in the US) said they would not accept applications from someone who already had a PhD.  They encouraged those folks apply for post-docs or fellowships instead.  The programs that didn't explicitly forbid it seemed to want a detailed explanation as to why you were doing it, suggesting to me they weren't very hip on the idea.  

As you also asked about an MIA, I think I can speak to that a bit.  I wouldn't recommend you pursue something like that immediately after a PhD in Contemporary History.  Many people in those programs are coming right from DC/NYC and have decent connections with those places.  Most, but not all, are also in their mid to late twenties.  I think a one year MA for "mid-career" professionals could make more sense for you.  It's an accelerated degree for people with more experience (and it's not as expensive).  That said, if you can swing it at all, I recommend you try and get a job somewhere in the policy arena.  Is there anyway you spin your current work/scholarship to reflect what you are interested in now?  There are plenty of History PhDs in DC and the think tank/policy sphere.  You may find you do not need another degree (MA or PhD) on top of your current degree.

I hope this is helpful.    

Edited by Mr_Spock2018
Needed to clarify language.

17 hours ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

I'm sorry to say this, but I think a second PhD is probably not feasible.  I'm not saying that because you're not smart enough, but because many doctoral programs that I applied to last year (11 in political science/public policy, all in the US) said they would not accept applications from someone who already had a PhD.  They encouraged those folks apply for post-docs or fellowships instead.  The programs that didn't explicitly forbid it seemed to want a detailed explanation as to why you were doing it, suggesting to me they weren't very hip on the idea.  

As you also asked about an MIA, I think I can speak to that a bit.  I wouldn't recommend you pursue something like that immediately after a PhD in Contemporary History.  Many people in those programs are coming right from DC/NYC and have decent connections with those places.  Most, but not all, are also in their mid to late twenties.  I think a one year MA for "mid-career" professionals could make more sense for you.  It's an accelerated degree for people with more experience (and it's not as expensive).  That said, if you can swing it at all, I recommend you try and get a job somewhere in the policy arena.  Is there anyway you spin your current work/scholarship to reflect what you are interested in now?  There are plenty of History PhDs in DC and the think tank/policy sphere.  You may find you do not need another degree (MA or PhD) on top of your current degree.

I hope this is helpful.    

Thank you so much for taking time to answer to my concerns. Your reply is detailed and of great help. It is pretty spot on as well.

Some Universities would not let PhD holders apply for a second PhD. Some others, though, would, provided that a clear SOP and an explanation of why the candidate would benefit from another degree would be provided.

I am particularly interested in switching from qualitative to quantitative methods, take courses on international affairs and work with leading experts of the field. Otherwise, there would be no point in getting into a pol sci program.

I am interested both in doctoral and post-doc positions, but for a career on academia, I think that a strong PhD is what matters most. And a PhD in History from a European university which is not top, puts me in a weak position.

An MIA/MPA degree would be for sure more time effective, but would lead to high debt and a career outside academia. Still, I am clueless about the possibilities of finding a job after the degree that could enable one make a living and pay the student loans within a reasonable timeframe as well.