GRE dilemma: how much should I care about verbal?

smug-face

I took the GRE twice: the first time, I got a perfect Verbal (170) but a Quant in the mid-low 160s; the second time the opposite score, a perfect Quant (170) but in Verbal I got the same score as my first Quant. Luckily, due to how the GRE is scored, the second test was above the 90th percentile for both (not true for the first as you need a higher score in Q than V to make it to the 90th percentile).

Here's my question: I want to apply to very quant-heavy programs, so I suppose that the Quant matters more than the Verbal. I am also not a native English speaker, so it is possible that my not-so-perfect Verbal will be discounted even further. However, I wonder if it would make sense for me to send both test scores, as I was quite happy with my first Verbal. However, I'd rather adcomms think I'm (consistently) good at math and a bit less good at verbal than inconsistently good at math. Thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

I'd go with the higher verbal, middle tier (mid 160s) quant personally (that's what I had, and I had pretty good acceptances all around). In general though, those scores, especially this cycle amid COVID, won't likely keep you out anywhere. 

I got into virtually every CHYMPS and I think those scores will get you very far. You are ESL, so I think a verbal in the 90% is impressive. My ESL friend is at a top 10 program with a verbal in the 70s.  I'd go with the higher quant if youre primarily interested in quant methods, but I will let you know that a lot of schools power score, which means that they'll take your highest score from each test and consider that. In my opinion, you are in a very strong place to apply wherever you want. This season will be tougher, but those scores make you competitive. Great job! 

13 hours ago, Pol22222 said:

I'd go with the higher quant if youre primarily interested in quant methods, but I will let you know that a lot of schools power score, which means that they'll take your highest score from each test and consider that. 

Thanks! Where do I check if a school that I’m applying to does that?

24 minutes ago, smug-face said:

Thanks! Where do I check if a school that I’m applying to does that?

Some schools are explicit about that (e.g., Stanford), whereas others are not. You'll probably just have to check on the websites of the programs you're interested in. If you don't find any information, you could always send the graduate program coordinator/administrative assistant an email.