MFA Creative Writing: Playwriting Opportunities?

Mel Rose

Hi everyone!

I am seeking to apply this year for the MFA (fiction), but my background is as a practicing theatre artist. It was a struggle to make a determination between pursuing fiction or playwriting! While I may still apply to a few playwriting programs, my decision has ultimately been to focus on fiction, in the hopes that my program will offer access to some dramatic writing classes/workshops, or at least offer a community with some ties to the world of theatre. I have found that the practice of theatre as a live storytelling experience playing out in real time (not to mention the deep understanding of character that accompanies years of being a performer) has really enhanced not just my writing, but also my worldview. I would hate to not be able to engage with that art form. I was wondering if any of you had recommendations for programs that might lend opportunities for playwriting or writing for performance. I am still refining my list, but would love to know if there are any that I missed or overlooked.

Thank you!