Mental Health in Graduate School

GradSchoolGrad

I have always been an advocate of mental health and being open about it. I think what was interesting about my graduate school experience was that for the first time I was in an environment whereby self-identification of having mental health issues + openly discussing treatment regimens was a highly regarded means of community involvement and participation. 

Just to highlight this better, the way this manifested were:

1. Regular conversations about individuals comparing mental health treatment regimens 

2. Numerous conversations by classmates (some I call friends to this day) that I was being insufficiently healthy + not a great mental health ally because I do not actively seek therapy to be diagnosed with a mental health condition and seek active treatment for it (full disclosure, I was shamed into looking into therapy options, but I financially couldn't stomach the costs). 

3. The popular established notion that having a mental health issue was a litmus test for having an inclusive conversation. 

I only thought about this as I had a virtual grad school reunion whereby the same conversations came up again. Maybe I should think about things differently. Please let me know. However my standing thought has been:

- Mental health should not be trivialized and are matters that should be respected as private health issues. 

- If someone does reveal a mental health issue, it should be treated with respect and dignity, but not a Flexing Olympics of who has more mental healthy issues / treatment access

- It is perfectly okay not to have a mental health issue and no one should be shamed/guilt tripped into believing they are insincere for not having one. 

Any thoughts and guidance are greatly appreciated. I am not looking for affirmation. Just some perspectives to help me grow. 

• 2 weeks later...

As both a psychologist and professor, I was interested to see any comments on this topic when you first posted a few weeks ago.  I think the lack of comments is telling.

Regarding the seeking therapy thing, I have always held that not everyone needs therapy, however everyone can benefit from therapy.  I truly believe that.  Of course, I'm biased.

42 minutes ago, RyanS said:

As both a psychologist and professor, I was interested to see any comments on this topic when you first posted a few weeks ago.  I think the lack of comments is telling.

Regarding the seeking therapy thing, I have always held that not everyone needs therapy, however everyone can benefit from therapy.  I truly believe that.  Of course, I'm biased.

What I am increasingly noticing is how therapy (or should I say quality/expensive therapists) are being treated as scarce luxury items and some are leveraging their utilizing of such therapists (beyond legitimately medical need) as a means of signaling status. Been a witness to a a few "who has the best/more expensive/more scarce therapist" conversations before. It eerily sounds like people discussing who has the better luxury car or the classier diamond ring. 

Have you seen/thought about/discussed this more recent phenomenon in modern life?