Who are you having review your SOPs?

I have been out of school for several years so, while I can ask profs for LoRs, I don't feel we're close enough to where I can request a review of my SoP. I have friends and family that can look over my SoP for grammar, spelling, and style, but none that are in or applying to grad school. It would be nice if someone in my field could look over my SoP, but I don't have any connections there.

So, who are you all getting to review your SoP? 

I am very lucky to work at an amazing university and have been able to forge a lot of relationships so I'm having a friend who got their PhD in english to look over my SOP and also having someone who is in charge of admissions for the subject I'm interested. I'm not applying here so it's not a conflict, but it's nice to have someone who knows these processes a little bit go over it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've also been out of school for many years, so I feel your pain on this one. My advice would be to first, try to get over you hesitance around asking your recommendation writers to look over your SOP. If they've already agreed to help you with a letter, it's very likely they would be willing to give you some notes on your SOP. It doesn't hurt to ask, although I know it can be intimidating. Also, if you don't have connections in your field, it wouldn't hurt to start making some now. Try reaching out to potential PhD advisors in the departments you are applying to. If you get lucky, one might get back to you and be willing to help you out if your research is a good fit for them. Be brave and good luck!