Profile Eval Request

Indeed

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: Top university in my country that is very well connected to US (all professors have their PhDs from top 50 departments in the US)

Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science 

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (I think thisis  the weakest part of my application. The reason is that I only studied for courses I liked and worked part-time throughout my undergrad. My professors told me it is not a major issue and they will touch upon that in their LORs and the grades in my university tend to be lower than the US averages) 

Masters GPA: 3.8

GRE: Haven't taken yet but I expect to get 169-170 in Quant and around 150-155 in Verbal

Writing Sample: A paper that is currently under review in one of the top journals in political science, a part of my master thesis

Letters of Recommendation: One letter from junior professor that knows me really well for whose project I am the graduate research assistant. Another letter from junior professor that knows me really well with whom I am writing a paper right now. I expect these to be really strong letters since they are my co-advisors and encourage me to apply to the top 20 programs in the US. Lastly from a very-well known professor that has listened to my paper presentation before and told me she enjoyed it very much. I took also took AA from her graduate course. I expect this recommendation to be good but weaker since she knows me less than other professors. All three have their PhDs from top 25.

Research Experience: I have four solo authored papers under review in well known journals. Two papers in making. One on-going paper with 2 professors. I am also graduate assistant to a project (data-set creation, management, data-analysis, training of other coders etc.). I am also a RA (data analysis and collection) to a huge and very well known project based in one of the top universities in the US led by a very well known professor. I have experience with advanced spatial analysis as well as qualitative research.

Language skills: My native language, English and German

Software: R and GeoDa, also somewhat familiar with Python and NetLogo

Subfield/Research Interests: My work is mostly on political violence especially civil wars, closer to comparative politics but also talks to international relations.

I am applying to 11 programs in top 40. Most between 20 and 40. What do you think my chances are? is this a bad strategy? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Indeed

• Indeed changed the title to Profile Eval Request

It's very limited information we have, but if I were you I would probably aim higher and apply mostly to top 20. Much less attention will be given to your GPA compared to US applicants since professors realize grading outside of the US is different but at the same time they may be unfamiliar with the particular system you're coming from. On top of that, you have an MA, so undergrad will generally matter much less.