MSW applications: Are you including non-social work experience on your resume?

poppyflower

I would only recommend what is relevant in recent times. You should have the most up to date resume, with the most relevant experience on top. I don't think it would hurt to have that type of experience on your resume especially if you are working multiple jobs but if it's kinda old or you have something more "social service" related, then it might be better left out. 

That being said having it on a work resume is not "bad" but I would not add that into your personal statement letter. Hope this helps you in some way.

• 1 month later...

I had a lot of non social work experience on my CV when I put in my MSW application. One of the glories of applying to SW programs in my mind is that being human and talking about everything in life that makes you, you is a positive social work experience. If you learned what it takes to stay positive and relate to others through your working in retail or food service I say absolutely include it. Just make sure it is reflected in whatever essay you are providing them. 

On 10/24/2020 at 7:53 PM, Alyssaaa_97 said:

Are you including work experience unrelated to social work (i.e. food service, retail, etc.)? If I am applying to programs that ask for work experience and a separate resume, should I include this type of non related experience on either of these?

That said, I am fully with Zippy that an up to date and relevant experience on top CV is needed. 

On 10/25/2020 at 6:54 PM, ZippyZup123 said:

I would only recommend what is relevant in recent times. You should have the most up to date resume, with the most relevant experience on top. I don't think it would hurt to have that type of experience on your resume especially if you are working multiple jobs but if it's kinda old or you have something more "social service" related, then it might be better left out. 

I too hope I have offered something helpful here,

Good luck!