Choose my 3rd letter writer

taoli29

Hi guys, I'm thinking about this matter for days but cannot decide. I have 2 options for 3rd recommender:

1. An experimental physics professor. I worked in his condensed matter research group during my freshman/sophomore year. We talked a lot and he knew me very well, and I co-authored in a paper. However, there is no way he can evaluate my ability in doing advanced math since my job is purely doing experiments.

2. A very well-know math professor, also the editor-in-chief of a top math journal. I'm currently taking this graduate real analysis, and I got 100% in the midterm (average about 80%) and all the homeworks. However, he barely knows me and we have never met in person (since this semester is entirely online).

Any advice is appreciated.

I agree with Stat Assistant Prof, though your relationship with your math professor does not need to remain anonymous. Regularly attending office hours and asking good questions about the course material or about the professor's research can definitely help build a more meaningful relationship. It would also help if their office hours are not video calls with multiple people being able to attend at a time. Anyway, the physics prof is probably the way to go, especially if you have other letter writers or components of your application that attest to your mathematical ability. 

1 hour ago, ax95174 said:

I would ask the first one. Don't ask a professor for a letter until you finished the semester. Also, since you're taking real analysis, could you give me some advice? How did you study for the exams? I struggled on my first real analysis exam.

Unlike basic math courses like linear algebra and differential equations, you don't need to recite formulas or methods for any advance math exam. I also struggled in my first analysis course. There is no secret trick. Just spend enough time on thinking the problem sets and understanding the concepts.