Conundrum

hajimemashite

So I have been already accepted into the doctorate program of my 2nd preference school.

But I still haven't heard from my first preference(U of Delaware).

I wrote an email to the graduate admissions office on April 15th asking them if there was any update with my application status. I received a reply on April 18th, saying that:

"Thank you for your application to our program. No decision has yet been made. You will be notified once a decision has been made. We thank you for your patience during the decision process."

April is about to end and I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable. The results section on this forum shows that some people have heard back from Delaware (CS dept) - around the April 12th, 23rd & 26th.

What should I do?

Well, first of, don't despair. If they haven't sent you an admit yet, it doesn't automatically imply that you are heading for a rejection. Admissions decisions are usually sent out in waves, so you might have missed the first few. I would recommend promptly calling or e-mailing your 2nd choice school and attempting to request an extension for your response for as long as they permit. Afterwards, I would recommend *calling* the Delaware CS grad admissions office. In my experience, I tend to get more out of admissions people over the phone than over e-mail. They might be difficult to catch on the first try, but be persistent.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first of, don't despair. If they haven't sent you an admit yet, it doesn't automatically imply that you are heading for a rejection. Admissions decisions are usually sent out in waves, so you might have missed the first few. I would recommend promptly calling or e-mailing your 2nd choice school and attempting to request an extension for your response for as long as they permit. Afterwards, I would recommend *calling* the Delaware CS grad admissions office. In my experience, I tend to get more out of admissions people over the phone than over e-mail. They might be difficult to catch on the first try, but be persistent.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice man.. I followed it up with a phone call and still got the same reply "no decision has been made... no tentative date".

Next emailed the professor.. he has been very supportive and responsive thus far... within 10 mins of emailing him, he emailed back with a forward message from the admissions "no decision has been made, yet."

haha...ouch, delaware.

Edited by hajimemashite