Academically-Oriented Masters Programs

gradpumpkin

Does anyone have suggestions on academically-oriented Masters programs to apply to that would help prepare for a PhD? I know about MAPSS and CIR but am looking for a few more that would be strong preparation programs in case I strike out on PhD admissions this year and need to try again in a future cycle. Specifically looking for ones with good funding/fellowship/assistantship opportunities, as I would not be able to pay full tuition anywhere. Bonus points if they are well-suited for comparative politics! 

Short answer: don’t do it.

These programs don’t provide much in way of experience/learning and are mostly cash draws for these schools. It just adds a year or two that you are in school.  Go out and try to build some knowledge in something related to your research interests. Something people don’t talk about before applying is how important it is to have some sort of outside expertise or knowledge that can help inform your research. If you don’t get in this cycle and know research/phd, this is a great way to spend a gap year. 

Edited by munch22