MSW or MFT programs in California

AngB

Question

Hi all! First time user here so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. I am in a huge debate about what degree to get. At this point I think I'm pretty set on a MSW degree. While I resonate much more with MFT and would like to work in private practice focusing on MFT I also want the versatility of the MSW degree. I'd like to work in a hospital part time and I think the MSW will open those doors more easily. 

However, I'm so lost when it comes to choosing a program. I think I want in person classes or a hybrid, but I am back in Los Angeles and I want to stay commutable. Or if in person meetings are required I'd like it to be a short flight I could manage on a regular basis. I am also very into a holistic method of study. Any recommendations? Any websites that might help me on my search?

THANK YOU!

1 answer to this question

On 10/31/2020 at 1:19 PM, AngB said:

Hi all! First time user here so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. I am in a huge debate about what degree to get. At this point I think I'm pretty set on a MSW degree. While I resonate much more with MFT and would like to work in private practice focusing on MFT I also want the versatility of the MSW degree. I'd like to work in a hospital part time and I think the MSW will open those doors more easily. 

However, I'm so lost when it comes to choosing a program. I think I want in person classes or a hybrid, but I am back in Los Angeles and I want to stay commutable. Or if in person meetings are required I'd like it to be a short flight I could manage on a regular basis. I am also very into a holistic method of study. Any recommendations? Any websites that might help me on my search?

THANK YOU!

Hello. Since you are in California it's worth noting that there are a lot more strenuous hoops to jump through for being an MFT in California- I don't know if that is true for being a MSW or not. Personally, I can't think of much that would convince me to move to California and deal with those issues as a MFTer. That said, I'm obviously biased towards MFT, lol- and things would likely not be as big of a deal for you if you are doing your degree in California as far as checking all the right boxes.

Either way you go, you can still work with systemic therapy- so you should be able to do similar work with either degree. While systems might have originated in the MFT world, MSW has picked it up for a while now and even Psychology has starting to assimilate systems therapy practices. I think as far as being able to do the type of work you want either degree will serve you well. 

For MFT, you can simply go on the AAMFT site to look for programs and then search through the programs to see what work is being done in each- 

https://www.aamft.org/COAMFTE/Directory_of_Accredited_Programs/MFT_Training_Programs.aspx

Under location just choose California or where ever it is you want to be looking at programs.