Future painting MFA applicant without BFA/BA Studio Art degree?

simmodium

How important is having a BFA/BA studio art degree in undergrad in terms of being competitive to MFA painting programs, including the top ones in the US?

For context, I have a BS degree from my undergrad studies, but took a few studio art classes and several in the humanities. I originally planned on getting a BA in Studio Art but the practical side of me went the opposite direction. MFA-wise, I'd be applying next fall (so a program fall 2022 - spring 2024) and am already 5+ years out of undergrad. For most of that time, however, I've been working a full-time tech job, not making that much work due to my job, and network-wise, I haven't been involved with anyone in the art world. But earlier this year, I quit that job to focus on my practice, beef up my art history and contemporary art knowledge, while working part-time to pay the bills instead.

I'd appreciate some words of advice for a few q's and concerns below! 

1. I'm very aware MFA programs want people who want to make this their life's work. Part of why I left my full-time job to focus on art is to ensure that this is true for myself. But I'm quite worried that the program might see my interest in art as just a phase or hobby -- what is the best way to address this concern?
  2. Recommendations. I haven't kept in touch with my art professors from undergrad, and being several years out, I'm not particularly interested in a post-bacc or certificate program, other than potentially a studio art class focused on individual practice (vs. prompts), as well as an art history class. That said, given COVID, I'm not quite sure how to make the in-person connections with practicing/teaching artists over the next ~1.5 years to be able have references who know me and my work. Does anyone have any suggestions for this, as well as what a program would like to see highlighted by the references given that I don't have a BFA (e.g. commitment to practice, knowledge of contemporary art)?

On 11/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, simmodium said:

How important is having a BFA/BA studio art degree in undergrad in terms of being competitive to MFA painting programs, including the top ones in the US?

For context, I have a BS degree from my undergrad studies, but took a few studio art classes and several in the humanities. I originally planned on getting a BA in Studio Art but the practical side of me went the opposite direction. MFA-wise, I'd be applying next fall (so a program fall 2022 - spring 2024) and am already 5+ years out of undergrad. For most of that time, however, I've been working a full-time tech job, not making that much work due to my job, and network-wise, I haven't been involved with anyone in the art world. But earlier this year, I quit that job to focus on my practice, beef up my art history and contemporary art knowledge, while working part-time to pay the bills instead.

I'd appreciate some words of advice for a few q's and concerns below! 

1. I'm very aware MFA programs want people who want to make this their life's work. Part of why I left my full-time job to focus on art is to ensure that this is true for myself. But I'm quite worried that the program might see my interest in art as just a phase or hobby -- what is the best way to address this concern?
  2. Recommendations. I haven't kept in touch with my art professors from undergrad, and being several years out, I'm not particularly interested in a post-bacc or certificate program, other than potentially a studio art class focused on individual practice (vs. prompts), as well as an art history class. That said, given COVID, I'm not quite sure how to make the in-person connections with practicing/teaching artists over the next ~1.5 years to be able have references who know me and my work. Does anyone have any suggestions for this, as well as what a program would like to see highlighted by the references given that I don't have a BFA (e.g. commitment to practice, knowledge of contemporary art)?

I've seen a fair amount of mfa students who didn't get their undergrad in art. As long as your portfolio is well-developed, I think a lot of places don't care. Most grad programs in the US aren't devoted to training or developing skill, so I think most places expect students to come in with a solid background in their chosen discipline(s) so they can focus on developing their work and ideas, but that can definitely be achieved without a ba/bfa. You could also spin your studies/experience outside of art as an asset and influence to it. 

I think a strong portfolio and consistent work + you believing it yourself will make it clear that it's not just a hobby, without you even having to say so. 

For recommendations, you could do a few things. I would consider reaching out to your past studio art teachers, even though it's been a while. You could send a nice email reminding them of who you are and when you took their classes. Let them know you have become interested in pursuing an mfa in art and that they had an impact on you (if they did) and show them what you have been working on, as well as ask if it's okay if you could reach out to them if you have any questions about it, and try to build up a relationship with them again. After I graduated, I reached out to a past professor of mine and asked if I could volunteer as a teacher's assistant for some classes, to stay involved in a community of artists. That was really really important for me and opened the door to new skills, stuff for my cv, and over time, additional recommendations. I know the pandemic has made that way harder to do, and it's hard to seek out recommendations in general, but if you can, I would just get involved in anything art-related that you can and build real working relationships with people and recommendation opportunities will come from that.

I think that having a BFA is pretty optional if you can show through your portfolio and interview that you have a strong command of contemporary art and can contextualize your art practice and prove that you are committed to being an artist full time.