I'm applying to PhD in Accounting, which set of GRE scores should I choose?

msfriendly

V 158(80%) Q 169(95%) 

V 161(88%) Q 166(91%)

------------------------

This fall,  I took the GRE twice, and I got the above scores .

Quant seemed not that hard, so I worked really hard to raise my verbal score for a month and managed to get 161.

I was going to submit the 161/166 since 80%-->88% in Verbal, seemed to me, like it could compensate for the 95%-->91% fall in Quant .

But Accounting PhD program seems to really weigh the Quant scores much higher.

So now I really can't decide on which one I should submit :{

Which one would you choose ?

Also I kind of have a weak GPA in two of the math classes in undergraduate (Econ major)

so its another factor that makes it really difficult to decide ;(

I guess my question is -- Would the admissions view the 95% and 91% percentile in quant, much differently?

If not, I would just submit the 161/ 166 ;(

I'd be grateful for any insight/ comment!

Edited by msfriendly

• msfriendly changed the title to I'm applying to PhD in Accounting, which set of GRE scores should I choose?
  • 2 weeks later...

As a disclaimer, I'm familiar with Economics grad programs, but not finance. The cultures and expectations are very similar afaik. For econ, your first score would be dominant to the second, as your verbal scores are both sufficient and your first quant score is somewhat of a positive signal, while the second is merely sufficient.

Unless things have changed, I thought ETS allowed you to send the best score from different tests?  You could also send both sets. 

Both sets total 327, so it's a wash in my opinion. Both sections, verbal and quant, are really testing your ability to understand and analyze the question being asked above anything else.

Quant is not testing your ability to do math and yet I understand the appeal of sending in the 169 score.  Yet, 158 in verbal is a little low although being above average.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ