Renaissance Studies

Are you looking for a Renaissance Studies PhD or an English PhD with a focus in Ren drama?

Some English programs that have some badass faculty in Renaissance and generally strong programs:

Rutgers

UNC-Chapel Hill

WUSTL

Northwestern

Penn State

UVA

Connecticut

Notre Dame

There are others, too. This is just off the top of my head! Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies so far! To clarify, I would like to pursue an English PhD with a specialization in Renaissance Studies. I have a really long and rather random list of schools to apply to next fall, so I'm just trying to find out other people's opinions on the best schools so I can narrow down the number of applications.

On 5/2/2010 at 1:17 AM, Gingermick said:

What are the best PhD programs with specializations in Renaissance Studies, particularly Renaissance drama, outside of the US New Specialty Rankings? I particularly love Shakespeare, but who doesn't?

I applied as an early modernist, but not for drama specifically, and in applying I actually shied away from programs that were really drama heavy. Pamphilia has some great suggestions for departments with general strengths in Renaissance faculty - I'd also say that from what I've heard Columbia is really THE place for Renn drama. Tons of faculty interest, classes all the time, etc. I've heard of drama people being attracted to WUSTL and Cornell as well. Of course, these are really big names. Oh, and DEFINITELY UCLA.

Although I don't think that the PhD program in lit is that well run, the Renaissance area of the UMass Amherst English department is really remarkable. It draws great students because there is an extremely well established Renaissance Center, directed by Arthur Kinney. Kinney is a top-notch scholar and he works well with students. He's also a pretty big name so a lot of other scholars in that subfield want to come to the department to work with him. You'll find a pretty engaged and like-minded group of peers and a really solid community, with a lot of events and stuff going on, a lot of lectures and scholars coming through, a fair amount of performances and a great place to work.

That said, I don't think much of the rest of the program. But if you are sure you want to pursue Renaissance literature and performance, you'll be well-suited in Amherst.

I applied as an early modernist, but not for drama specifically, and in applying I actually shied away from programs that were really drama heavy. Pamphilia has some great suggestions for departments with general strengths in Renaissance faculty - I'd also say that from what I've heard Columbia is really THE place for Renn drama. Tons of faculty interest, classes all the time, etc. I've heard of drama people being attracted to (U)Penn and Cornell as well. Of course, these are really big names. Oh, and DEFINITELY UCLA.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I really like the looks of UCLA's Renaissance program but I went there for undergrad (some years ago), and I've heard that many schools will not consider you for graduate school if that is the case. I don't want to waste my money applying if they are just going to chuck my application in the trash as soon as they see their name on my transcripts, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity apply to a great program where I think I would fit well. Does anyone have advice regarding applying to your undergraduate institution for graduate school?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I really like the looks of UCLA's Renaissance program but I went there for undergrad (some years ago), and I've heard that many schools will not consider you for graduate school if that is the case. I don't want to waste my money applying if they are just going to chuck my application in the trash as soon as they see their name on my transcripts, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity apply to a great program where I think I would fit well. Does anyone have advice regarding applying to your undergraduate institution for graduate school?

This depends a lot on the department, and even if they are open to accepting returning students, you may not want to do it - it's usually a better career move to diversify. If you're still in touch with anyone there, definitely email and ask - and *definitely* ask old professors for recommendations of other programs to apply to; hopefully they'll be more than willing to help.