Philosophy and Comp Lit PhD Admission Chances

philstudent225

Question

Hello everyone, 

I wanted to ask what you all thought about submitting GREs scores this year for admission to top-25 Philosophy and Comparative Literature PhD programs. I did pretty decently on the verbal (165) and writing (5.5) sections, but not so great on the quant (151). I've been debating submitting these scores at all, or submitting them to comp. lit programs and not philosophy. What are everyone's thoughts on this? All other parts of my application are fine, this is the only area that I have any real uncertainty. Thanks! 

2 answers to this question

If the scores are optional do not submit them. Especially philosophy where you will have logicians scoring above 90th percentile for quant. I'm sure you know that acceptance rates for philosophy are below 5%, so make sure all other aspects of your application are top notch. Comp Lit is more about language skills, references, interests and papers / thesis. Comp Lit professors do not care about GRE scores in my experience. Hope this helps.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:31 AM, baerga said:

If the scores are optional do not submit them. Especially philosophy where you will have logicians scoring above 90th percentile for quant. I'm sure you know that acceptance rates for philosophy are below 5%, so make sure all other aspects of your application are top notch. Comp Lit is more about language skills, references, interests and papers / thesis. Comp Lit professors do not care about GRE scores in my experience. Hope this helps. png to ico

Thank you very much!! Very useful advice