Age-worth discussing on SOP/PS?

wnxxkyjpx

Question

Hi all,

I've been having this discussion with different people that have been advising me on my SOPs. Long story short I'm of age 18 and an undergrad senior applying for PhDs, and I'm of the belief that I shouldn't be discussing this fact that much, so that it won't be misconstrued as me finding excuses for my lack of experience. But people have also told me that I shouldn't be avoiding it deliberately and lay it out naturally, since it has been a part of history and had obviously great impact on my life. I would like to hear more different perspectives on to what degree I should talk/not talk about this.

2 answers to this question

I would definitely talk about it. Use it as an opportunity to assert your maturity outside of the classroom and to compliment your academic gifts. Provide specific examples. Hope this helps.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation. Your educational history should be discussed; just because it may have been outside of a traditional progression doesn't mean you should try to hide from it. Obviously don't just drop in 'by the way, I'm 18' out of context, but you should be able to convey that information by discussing whatever your educational experience has been. 'Don't deliberately avoid it and lay it out naturally', yes, exactly that.