Chances of Getting into Hunter MA for Fall '21?

mellirae

Hi all! 

I was wondering if anyone could speak to the admissions process at Hunter. It is currently my top choice, but I have yet to find out any information on acceptance rates or what they look for outside of the  "courses in art history and have maintained a minimum grade point average of 3.5 in those courses, with a minimum 3.0 index overall."

By the time of my application, I will have a cumulative 3.5 with a 3.6-3.7 range in my major courses (classics/art history) from a top 20 university, archaeological field experience, internship at the state museum, research experience and decent recs. Is this a good range for getting into the program? I am just very nervous cause I have had minimal information regarding admissions for Hunter. I am hoping to focus on ancient art there, specifically looking at one of the professors who specializes in Egypt that they have. I am also drawn to the access to the top museums just by being in NYC.

Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I also was considering applying to Hunter's M.A. program around July, but since have decided to knock it off of my list. The CAA has a really wonderful booklet of applicant data from 2015-2016. Although it is certainly outdated and we are applying during what is likely a competitive season, their acceptance rate was 74%. Here is a link to where I found this information - I hope it is helpful! Best of luck with your applications!

https://www.collegeart.org/pdf/publications/CAA-directory-art-history.pdf

Hi there,

I am an incoming Hunter MA student. Applied for Spring and will be starting in a little over a month, so this (and the stress) is all still fresh in my mind. (Early 20th century modernism, particularly German Expressionism between the wars, is my focus.)

Based on what you've typed out here, it seems you have nothing to worry about! From my own experience, Hunter was my top choice as well, and the only school I applied to because of its faculty, MA/MFA in the same dept, curatorial certificate, relationships with NYC museums and galleries, my commitment to staying in the City, and last but certainly not least, affordability.

My Art History GPA was slightly below the 3.5 they list as the minimum (due to a couple unfortunately weak semesters in the middle of undergrad), but I believe what made up for it was my statement, quality of writing sample, recommendations, the number of art history courses I took, and internship experiences over the last couple of years. I was very concerned about my GPA, and e-mailed the MA dept administrative aide, who assured me the application is holistic and nothing is, on its own, disqualifying.

The fact that there's a specific professor you want to work with is the most important thing! I would definitely mention them by name in your statement, and try to specifically say what aspect of their research appeals to you (they definitely definitely look at this). If you feel comfortable, I would also consider reaching out to the professor directly. Thus far, it seems like all of the professors in the program are incredibly approachable and more than happy to answer any questions. Definitely don't overlook the statement. I spent weeks and weeks revising it, and going over it with a former professor, who knew all of the faculty I was interested in working with well. (That ~500 word limit is brutal!)

I hope this is helpful, and would be happy to answer any other questions as best as I can.

Good luck & happy holidays!