Considering Economics PhD

tokingphd

Hello, I am math and statistics major and I was considering applying to a couple economics PhD programs in addition to statistics ones. Does anyone have more insight about the difference in job opportunities for the two fields? I know it is likely to overlap a little.

I have barely taken any economics courses but I assume my math and stats coursework is helpful

Econometrics
Mathematical Statistics 1,2,grad
Calc 1-3, diff eq, lin alg
Regression

I have 2 more semesters before I apply to anything, what sort of classes are economics phd programs looking for?

On 12/8/2020 at 11:43 AM, tokingphd said:

Hello, I am math and statistics major and I was considering applying to a couple economics PhD programs in addition to statistics ones. Does anyone have more insight about the difference in job opportunities for the two fields? I know it is likely to overlap a little.

I have barely taken any economics courses but I assume my math and stats coursework is helpful

Econometrics
Mathematical Statistics 1,2,grad
Calc 1-3, diff eq, lin alg
Regression

I have 2 more semesters before I apply to anything, what sort of classes are economics phd programs looking for?

Job prospects are probably a bit better in economics, salary wise and availability wise, in academia especially. The federal reserve employs many economists, others work in think tanks on policy issues, the elite work on decision theory, and many more are in academia working on topics in macroeconomics or applied microeconomics. Real Analysis would help your application substantially, as would intermediate microeconomics (usually second course in micro).