How to mention professors in SoPs

Hi all,

I am an international student applying to political science PhD programs (in the US) this year. I am now doing some last-minute editing of my SoPs for schools that haven't closed their online applications. I have a question about how to address professors in SoPs properly and concisely. I've read some example SoPs by native speakers, but they mentioned professors in four different ways:

1. (no title) full name throughout

2. Dr./Prof. full name throughout 

3. First mention of a professor: Dr./Prof. full name; further mention(s) of this professor: Dr./Prof. last name

4. First mention of a professor: (no title) full name; further mention(s) of this professor: Dr./Prof. last name

Which would be the most professional one?

Edited by XiJinping

• FuyuhikoSomeno changed the title to How to mention professors in SoPs
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently, I am a bit late for this post, LOL. But for future reference:

The 3rd one.

Providing full name is essential and critical, at least to me, for your reference to be traceable. Although those Drs./Profs. might not be your recommendation letter providers, as long as you list their name, your readers should be able to verify that at least these ppl exist.

Not need to provide the full name over and over again. Only the first time.