How likely is obtaining an H1B for a person who earned a STEM PhD from the US?

Right now I'm a sophomore undergrad. I'm thinking of doing a PhD in Statistics from the U.S. with the long-term goal of immigration. I would have done an MSc if I could afford it, but alas.

I'm not from any country which faces a green card processing delay by the way. But still, I'd like to ask you whether my idea is naïve, considering how the U.S. has a reputation of being extremely difficult to immigrate to. The way I see it, the only real hurdle is obtaining the H1B since the process of H1B to green card is easier if you're not Indian/Chinese/Mexican, which I'm not.

So I think this will boil down to the question of whether employers will be willing to sponsor a Statistics PhD fresh out of grad school. You guys have any info on this?

Edit: Perhaps I should clarify. Since grads have a separate h1b lottery, if the employer applies for H1B then, combined with the OPT, I will probably get it. The question is will there even be an employer willing to undergo the process of applying?

Edited by StuckinACF

I think there are still employers doing that. I also think the applicant pool is declining since most fellow international students do not plan on staying here after the increased racism, the COVID handling, the uncertainty (depending on who is the president), and obviously the whole joke that this election was and how people are responding. It's  not like we have any rights really.

It seems the field of finance is more likely to stay in the US (they need the lack of regulations :'), whereas tech has started to recruit people more in places like Canada or certain European countries given that visas are so much easier there. So I think it also depends on which 'field' you'd like to work in. Similarly, such places often GIVE green cards/permits very easily to those who graduated from a university grad program in their country, thus attracting such companies. We really regret  not going the Canada route.

At the same time, Biden did have as a proposal that he wants to give STEM grad students green cards - but given the shape of this country, I don't think that policy would be high on the priority list.