English PhD programs interview for international applicants?

arrowseeker

Hi all,

I am an international student applying for English PhD programs, and my top schools include Northwestern, Texas at Austin, Wisconsin-Madison, and Rutgers.

My academic advisor has told me that selective schools tend to propose an interview for their applicants, especially for internationals, and now I'm wondering whether a lack of interview proposal by late January would mean an implied rejection and whether I should prepare for my (potential) interview in advance. I guess the graduate application process and the waiting is making me nervous over everything ? I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed light on this matter. 

Thanks in advance!

As far as I can remember, only places like Chicago, Columbia, Duke, Stanford, and Emory have historically conducted interviews (there might have been more, but you'll have to trawl through the respective applicants threads for the previous years to find out which ones they are). Also, do note that each program has their own rationale for selecting interviewees: Columbia and Stanford tend to interview only within select subfields, while Chicago and Duke Lit interview all their shortlisted candidates. Given the schools to which you're applying though, it seems like you don't have to worry about interviews. But in case any program decides to introduce it as part of their admissions process this year, just make sure that you're still familiar with your work (and especially your application materials) come Jan/Feb. 

58 minutes ago, cruel optimism said:

As far as I can remember, only places like Chicago, Columbia, Duke, Stanford, and Emory have historically conducted interviews (there might have been more, but you'll have to trawl through the respective applicants threads for the previous years to find out which ones they are). Also, do note that each program has their own rationale for selecting interviewees: Columbia and Stanford tend to interview only within select subfields, while Chicago and Duke Lit interview all their shortlisted candidates. Given the schools to which you're applying though, it seems like you don't have to worry about interviews. But in case any program decides to introduce it as part of their admissions process this year, just make sure that you're still familiar with your work (and especially your application materials) come Jan/Feb. 

Thanks for the answer and suggestion!