University of St. Augustine SLP Leveling Program Thoughts?

Hey there!

I'm very interested in applying to the SLP leveling program at University of St. Augustine.

Before I apply for this program, I wanted some input from previous or current students in the program at USA.

• Would any of you mind sharing your thoughts on how the classes/professors are/were and your experience at USA so far?
  • Also, would you consider applying to USA's MS in SLP after completing your leveling program with them?
  • If not, what other universities would you recommend instead that also have super competitive tuition costs?

I'd love to make a shift in my MBA career path to become an SLP. I have a huge heart for this field. 

Also, if there is anyone on here who has moved from their business background to pursue speech pathology, I'd love to hear your thoughts/tips of how you made the transition. 

Thanks!

Someone in my cohort took prereqs through them and chose to go to their masters program. She said when they redid curriculum they required her to retake a class with those updates to continue at their graduate school. I'm not familiar with the prerequisites classes but as a current grad student at USA, I regret going there. Many professors were newbies to the online format. They all seemed good SLPs but I don't know if I would call it teaching. More often then not they have you buy a textbook and read it cover to cover, without any lectures and occasionally accompanying powerpoints. Clinical placement organization is terrible (and not just because of COVID) and their virtual clinic is a nightmare. I still have maintained a 4.0 so I am not a disgruntled student. I have felt personally disrespected by faculty and can say at least half have said  that they regret going to this school. Although they put up a good front, they really do not care about their students. Everything is about money and making the school look good.

14 minutes ago, Ivy27 said:

Someone in my cohort took prereqs through them and chose to go to their masters program. She said when they redid curriculum they required her to retake a class with those updates to continue at their graduate school. I'm not familiar with the prerequisites classes but as a current grad student at USA, I regret going there. Many professors were newbies to the online format. They all seemed good SLPs but I don't know if I would call it teaching. More often then not they have you buy a textbook and read it cover to cover, without any lectures and occasionally accompanying powerpoints. Clinical placement organization is terrible (and not just because of COVID) and their virtual clinic is a nightmare. I still have maintained a 4.0 so I am not a disgruntled student. I have felt personally disrespected by faculty and can say at least half have said  that they regret going to this school. Although they put up a good front, they really do not care about their students. Everything is about money and making the school look good.

Ivy27, I really appreciate your candidness about your experience in the program. 

Your reply was super enlightening for me since I'm trying to navigate myself on this new career path. 

I'm sorry that this program has been far from ideal for you. Despite how discombobulated the program seems to be, it's awesome that you've maintained a 4.0!

Are there other schools you'd recommend me to look into instead? I'm completely open to other online programs, so long as they're tuition costs aren't insanely expensive. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, Ivy27 said:

ugh, I am sad to hear this. I was considering applying for Fall 2021. 

@robtoon4 If you have any other questions about the school let me know! If the price is right for leveling I wouldn't write it off but I wouldn't recommended it as a grad school. 

@MBA2SLPsorry I am not too familiar with other leveling programs, as my BS was in Communication Disorders. I have heard mostly good things about ENMU though!

Edited by Ivy27

@Ivy27 Hi! are you in the MA SLP program at St. Augustine? I know the school is not accredited. How will students get certified by the board? Do we need to get additional approval and proof of the program's standards?

Yes I am. There are no concerns with accreditation. It is in candidacy for accredidation. Essentially all schools have to be pre-approved, with a trial period before they can be fully accredited. While they are in this trial period anyone that graduates at University of St. Augustine can be certified by ASHA and the approved states on the St. Augustine website with a little more paperwork. From what faculty has said, USA is likely going to be fully accredited by the end of this term or early next year, so if you are applying right now you won't be affected either way.

I am a student there currently and my experience has been very different than the above student. It is up to each student to do the reading and absorb the information, but I feel like I have had live classes via zoom many times. I think half of my classes meet every other week and others at midterm and final for reviews. My clinical placements so far have been amazing and I could not have asked for a better experience. I have not worked in the virtual clinic and do not want to because I heard that it is twice the work of in person clinical which does not make any sense to me. I also have maintained a 4.0. I feel like having a strong undergraduate program has helped a lot. 

Everyone's experience is different, but I still feel like this program was the best choice for me and I do not regret it. 

• 2 months later...

As a student here I can say the same as many others. This school is less than professional. They use intimidation practices and yell at their students or put them down if they do not like their style of writing etc. 

Every semester they have students dropping out not because the work is hard but because of how they treat people. 

Those are my experiences, and I have many more from my cohort to add. Its sad but if you can keep ypur head down and take the emotional abuse then .... good luck.

I'm currently taking one leveling course here. I did a post-bac program, but my program didn't have an aural rehabilitation course, which may graduate schools required. In communications with my professor, she's extremely professional and kind. I was going to apply to their graduate program, but decided not to after being enrolled in this course. I'm sure very course is different, but I haven't had a single live lecture the entire semester. There also isn't any recorded lectures. Every week just includes readings from the textbook and additional online resources, a discussion board, and a quiz. There is little to no interaction with the professor unless you're emailing her directly. 

I have a pretty solid A in the course and I'm sure plenty of people can be successful in a program like this, but I honestly don't prefer it. There's no interaction with your classmates outside of the discussion boards. It's definitely a "learn it yourself" type of class style, which I didn't want for my graduate experience.