Boston College MSW Fall 2021

MSW-hopeful

I applied. I think that we are supposed to hear back by the 8th? I could be wrong but I thought that's what they said at an information session. I am hoping it is earlier, it seems like many msw admissions decisions are being sent out today (January 6th).

So in the bottom right corner of the application there is something called "Access for additional student services" that just showed up for me. I signed into the BC portal (Agora) with the username and BC ID (password) that was listed there. Then I changed my password to something I created and answered some security questions. I read in past forums that people were able to see their admissions decisions in the portal before receiving the email, but I don't see anything yet about that.

23 hours ago, jjfinfin said:

I applied. I think that we are supposed to hear back by the 8th? I could be wrong but I thought that's what they said at an information session. I am hoping it is earlier, it seems like many msw admissions decisions are being sent out today (January 6th).

I just got the decision email and was accepted! They were sent out about 30 minutes ago

I also got my acceptance today! Congratulations to everyone! I asked to extend when I would respond though, because I won't hear from BU and UMB until February and March. 

12 hours ago, jjfinfin said:

I also got my acceptance today! Congratulations to everyone! I asked to extend when I would respond though, because I won't hear from BU and UMB until February and March. 

Do you think they will say yes to this? Will you let me know? i would also prefer to hear from BU before putting down the deposit. 

2 hours ago, JazmineH said:

Do you think they will say yes to this? Will you let me know? i would also prefer to hear from BU before putting down the deposit. 

Yes I emailed admissions and they extended the date I had to respond to March 1st for me (another school I applied to said they wouldn’t get back to me until March). I think if you explain that other schools you are waiting back from and provide dates or rough timelines, they will create a deadline that best fits you. BU told me we would hear back mid to late February by the way.

Edited by jjfinfin

5 hours ago, jjfinfin said:

Yes I emailed admissions and they extended the date I had to respond to March 1st for me (another school I applied to said they wouldn’t get back to me until March). I think if you explain that other schools you are waiting back from and provide dates or rough timelines, they will create a deadline that best fits you. BU told me we would hear back mid to late February by the way.

Did you apply for clinical or macro? I'm looking to do clinical and was wondering what you knew about it/any good resources or reviews you've found of the clinical side specifically! I know some clinical programs are heavy on research but others aren't at all

9 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful said:

Did you apply for clinical or macro? I'm looking to do clinical and was wondering what you knew about it/any good resources or reviews you've found of the clinical side specifically! I know some clinical programs are heavy on research but others aren't at all

I applied for clinical, and I hope to specialize in CYF or Mental Health. I just got my BA in Psychology where my coursework was very research focused. I would recommend going to information sessions! I have attended a few for BU already, one was more casual Lunch and Learn and another was A Day in the Life of an MSW student. I know that Boston University is very committed to empirically supported theories, especially in regard to social justice, because that is a large part of the university and its mission. At an information session I went to for BC, a current professor said that the coursework was pretty rigorous and a lot about application of theories. Do you mean conducting research or reading empirical articles? I am pretty sure, in general, a PhD in Social Work would be more intensive in conducting research than an MSW program, where I think it would be more reading about and using methodologies supported by research. I would recommend going to future information sessions or reaching out to admissions to connect you to a current faculty member or student.

Edited by jjfinfin

1 minute ago, jjfinfin said:

I applied for clinical, and I hope to specialize in CYF or Mental Health. I just got my BA in Psychology where my coursework was very research focused. I would recommend going to information sessions! I have attended a few for BU already, one was more casual Lunch and Learn and another was A Day in the Life of an MSW student. I know that Boston University is very committed to empirically supported theories, especially in regard to social justice, because that is a large part of the university and its mission. At an information session I went to for BC, a current professor said that the coursework was pretty rigorous and a lot about application of theories. Do you mean conducting research or reading empirical articles? I am pretty sure, in general, a PhD in Social Work would be more intensive in conducting research than an MSW program, which would read and use methodologies supported by research. I would recommend going to future information sessions, though, or reaching out to admissions to connect you to a current faculty member or student.

Yes sorry I meant actually conducting research! I have my BA in Psychology as well and had to conduct quite a bit of research, which definitely wasn't my favorite part compared to studying and applying theories. Yes, I will definitely be attending a lot more info sessions!! I feel like I've read everything I can find online and still have so many questions haha

8 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful said:

Yes sorry I meant actually conducting research! I have my BA in Psychology as well and had to conduct quite a bit of research, which definitely wasn't my favorite part compared to studying and applying theories. Yes, I will definitely be attending a lot more info sessions!! I feel like I've read everything I can find online and still have so many questions haha

Yeah I think that it will be a bit different than your past experience. That is one of the reasons I chose not to work towards a MA in Pysch and pursue an MSW, because I didn't want to be in a lab, I wanted to work in the field and don't like doing research. From what I have heard Macro seems to be more about conducting research, more in a lab setting than working in the field. I hope that helps and good luck in finding out more! 

Edited by jjfinfin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...