Princeton SPIA MPP 2021

Berber

1 hour ago, Berber said:

Since Princeton is not accepting GREs this year for the mid-career MPP program, do you guys think they'll rely more on GPAs this year to compensate?

GPAs in comparison to the perceived academic difficulty of a school and difficulty of the major + professional experience. 

There big thing here is:

1. Ability to graduate (which means if you are a Philosophy major who never touched stats in your life but have an A GPA - it means nothing)

2. Professional potential 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

4 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

GPAs in comparison to the perceived academic difficulty of a school and difficulty of the major + professional experience. 

There big thing here is:

1. Ability to graduate (which means if you are a Philosophy major who never touched stats in your life but have an A GPA - it means nothing)

2. Professional potential 

I'm wondering how do you think they would make it fair to all applicants when someone submitted the GRE while the others didn't.

For example, an applicant with a Philosophy major who has a low GPA (let's say 2.80) but a stellar GRE (let's say Q165 V165) and the other applicant with an Engineering major who has a 3.60 GPA from a mid-tier international undergrad institution and didn't submit the GRE scores.

In normal years, I think the Philosophy major applicant with the stellar GRE scores will have a little edge over the other in terms of ability to graduate. But what about this year? how do you think they would make it fair to all applicants in terms of ability to graduate when some submitted the GRE scores while others didn't.

Edited by RickyTheGreat

6 minutes ago, RickyTheGreat said:

I'm wondering how do you think they would make it fair to all candidates when someone submitted the GRE while the others didn't.

For example, a candidate with a Philosophy major who has a low GPA (let's say 2.80) but a stellar GRE (let's say Q165 V165) and the other candidate with an Engineering major who has a 3.80 GPA from a mid-tier international undergrad institution and didn't submit the GRE scores.

In normal years, I think the Philosophy major candidate will have a little edge over the other in terms of ability to graduate. But what about this year? how do you think they would make it fair to all candidates in terms of ability to graduate when some submitted the GRE scores while others didn't.

One big chunk you are missing out on is professional experience. That is the other half of the puzzle. Say that low GPA philosophy major ended up in data science and has a few start ups. Recent professional achievement + GRE performance indicate that that a person has turned his life around and has the professional experience to be academically successful.

If that engineer has been entry level engineer for the past 7 years and hasn't really shown growth, that a comes with the story of lack of boldness and experience despite decent GPA. The GRE simply becomes an moot point data point that can't help or the candidate.

Bottom line - it is about the story that admissions can see from the packet.

After that, it is matter of diversity factors - (more than just generally, race, country of origin, age, and socio-economic background), but also policy interest and professional background. It is possible that someone academically less competitive is accepted over someone more academically competitive if the former has a lot of diversity angles. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

21 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

One big chunk you are missing out on is professional experience. That is the other half of the puzzle. Say that low GPA philosophy major ended up in data science and has a few start ups. Recent professional achievement + GRE performance indicate that that a person has turned his life around and has the professional experience to be academically successful.

If that engineer has been entry level engineer for the past 7 years and hasn't really shown growth, that a comes with the story of lack of boldness and experience despite decent GPA. The GRE simply becomes an moot point data point that can't help or the candidate.

Bottom line - it is about the story that admissions can see from the packet.

After that, it is matter of diversity factors - (more than just generally, race, country of origin, age, and socio-economic background), but also policy interest and professional background. It is possible that someone academically less competitive is accepted over someone more academically competitive if the former has a lot of diversity angles. 

FYI... there was no option to submit GRE scores for the MPP program this year. Traditionally Princeton MPP admits had lower GPAs than MPA admits.... now with the drop in GRE scores, I'm betting that GPAs are going to be weighed more heavily this year than past.

27 minutes ago, Berber said:

FYI... there was no option to submit GRE scores for the MPP program this year. Traditionally Princeton MPP admits had lower GPAs than MPA admits.... now with the drop in GRE scores, I'm betting that GPAs are going to be weighed more heavily this year than past.

My point is only marginally so. They look at the body of evidence... GPA, Professional, Major, and transcript... if you GPA is okay.... but your other stuff is legit, then it is fine. What is more of the unknown is diversity factors. Oh and I did forget about social involvement + leadership. Those are squishy things, but when two people are tied, those become tie breakers.

I have applied to the mpp program at spia as well . My stats are :

Considering applying to: 
Applied to MPP at Princeton .

Undergrad Institution: Top university in pakistan 

Undergrad Major: Economics with a minor in math . I also have a one year diploma in economics from the London school of economics.

Years out of undergrad: 13 

GPA: 3.58/4.0

GRE: not required 

Quant Background: Calculus I ,II, multivariate calculus , advanced calculus , ordinary differential equations , econometrics , applied economics , game theory , number theory , Linear Algebra, Stats and Probability , mechanics, microeconomics 1/2 , macroeconomics 1/2 , , monetary theory and policy , finance , microeconomic analysis ,and numerous other economics and math courses . 

Programming Background: stata, R, matlab

Relevant Work Experience:  almost 8 years - 1 year as assistant project manager and then 4 years as economic consultant and research associate both with the government of Pakistan , followed by two and a half years as senior policy analyst with the government of Canada and a month as a senior program manager also with the government of Canada .( my experience is in the police services division in asset management and policing contract management ) . Given my background in policing contract management , my policy memo was on police reforms in canada, a topic very close to my heart. Between the jobs in Pakistan and Canada I have 4 year career break due to personal family reasons .

Languages: Fluent in English . 8.5 in ielts.

International experience: almost 8 years work experience in Pakistan and Canada , plus one year diploma in economics from London school of economics 

Strength of LOR: Expecting strong recommendation from former employercurrent supervisor and a third from a current work colleague 

6 hours ago, Berber said:

I know Princeton is fully funded but does anyone know how the living stipend works? How they determine how much to give out?

Yes, have been thinking about this for a while? Apart from covering full tution and insurance, what is the monthly stipend that Princeton offers? Also what about boarding and schooling (for kids) in Princeton?

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, SpiffyLoki said:

Sorry if this is known to the most -  what's the difference between unofficial and official? Thank you!

They usually send out an "unofficial acceptance" email prior to releasing the official result, which includes financial info, on the portal.

16 hours ago, zl1234567890 said:

Oh so very shortly! I wonder if there are a lot of mpp applicants this year - haven’t seen a lot of people posting about the mpp as compared to last year

Admissions office said they had increase in applicants all around, including MPP. It's going to be very tough to get in.