UCSD GPS 2021

LeafJuice

20 minutes ago, Skipper18542 said:

@hungrypanda

Bachelors Institution: UC Berkeley (graduating with honors) 

Programs Accepted for MPA/MPP: UCI, UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, UPenn, Georgetown, UChicago 

Programs Waitlisted: UVA, Duke

Programs Rejected: University of Michigan, Oxford 

Programs Still Pending: Brown 

I have professional experience from all 4 years of college having worked with different levels of government and the non-profit sector as well as having set up my own. 

Thank you so much for sharing this information. Terrific! And congratulations again. This is great news about the full tuition coverage. 

31 minutes ago, Skipper18542 said:

@hungrypanda

Bachelors Institution: UC Berkeley (graduating with honors) 

Programs Accepted for MPA/MPP: UCI, UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, UPenn, Georgetown, UChicago 

Programs Waitlisted: UVA, Duke

Programs Rejected: University of Michigan, Oxford 

Programs Still Pending: Brown 

I have professional experience from all 4 years of college having worked with different levels of government and the non-profit sector as well as having set up my own. 

Wow, thanks for sharing! Congrats to your acceptance to all of those universities! Are you going to take the UCSD offer? Looking forward to study with all of the folks in the chat!

10 minutes ago, hungrypanda said:

Wow, thanks for sharing! Congrats to your acceptance to all of those universities! Are you going to take the UCSD offer? Looking forward to study with all of the folks in the chat!

I’m considering UCSD but since I got into UCLA and it’s the top UC I applied to (didn’t apply to Berkeley on purpose since I went there for undergrad) I am trying to leverage that to get the same offer if not a better one from UCLA. So I still have to wait and see to decide. Today they raised my offer from $0 to $6000 a year, which is very weak. Georgetown also raised their offer from $13,500 to $18,000 a year (again very weak). The only programs that come close to UCSD for me price wise have been UCI and Cornell, but neither of them is anywhere near as generous as San Diego. I’ll have to wait and see if the Ivys offer increased financing. UPenn so far has been rather weak, I am still waiting on Brown to release admissions (comes out tomorrow), and I much rather go to UCSD than Cornell (I’m a California native and Cornell is the lowest ranked Ivy). I’ll keep you guys posted but I hope you all hear back great news too!! 

1 hour ago, Skipper18542 said:

I’m considering UCSD but since I got into UCLA and it’s the top UC I applied to (didn’t apply to Berkeley on purpose since I went there for undergrad) I am trying to leverage that to get the same offer if not a better one from UCLA. So I still have to wait and see to decide. Today they raised my offer from $0 to $6000 a year, which is very weak. Georgetown also raised their offer from $13,500 to $18,000 a year (again very weak). The only programs that come close to UCSD for me price wise have been UCI and Cornell, but neither of them is anywhere near as generous as San Diego. I’ll have to wait and see if the Ivys offer increased financing. UPenn so far has been rather weak, I am still waiting on Brown to release admissions (comes out tomorrow), and I much rather go to UCSD than Cornell (I’m a California native and Cornell is the lowest ranked Ivy). I’ll keep you guys posted but I hope you all hear back great news too!! 

I hope you get more good news! I hope everybody else here will also receive good news! :D

Edited by hungrypanda

I received no merit based funding so kinda bummed, but still holding at hope for Robertson fellowship.  I'm not sure if award winners would have been notified from the gps merit aid notification that came out today or it's its own separate thing.  Anybody hear about Robertson by chance?

3 hours ago, Skipper18542 said:

How did you go about asking for increased funding? Thanks.

I received an offer with one year of tuition paid for from UCSD. 

“Congratulations once again on your admission to the School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS). The Admissions Committee has completed its evaluation of files for merit awards and, in recognition of your excellent credentials, wishes to offer you a fellowship to include:

• Full California Resident Tuition and Fees: Year 1 ($26,390)

1 hour ago, bugajskj said:

How did you go about asking for increased funding? Thanks.

I go about it in a very polite manner. I don't straight up tell them that another school offered more money. I email them thanking me for admitting me and tell them that I am quite happy. I ask if they have a policy of reassessing their financial award decisions since the process of doing a masters can be financially stressful especially given the pandemic and that it would allow me to better focus on my studies that way. I also send them an updated version of my resume compared to the one they have from a few months ago when I applied (since I got quite a better resume in the months since) and thank them for their consideration. 

59 minutes ago, bugajskj said:

I received an offer with one year of tuition paid for from UCSD. 

“Congratulations once again on your admission to the School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS). The Admissions Committee has completed its evaluation of files for merit awards and, in recognition of your excellent credentials, wishes to offer you a fellowship to include:

• Full California Resident Tuition and Fees: Year 1 ($26,390)

That is not a bad offer really. I have seen far far worse offers from some schools. That is about 50% the cost of tuition for 2 years. You could ask for them to raise it if other schools gave you a better deal. Or you could just ask to see if they will reevaluate for you regardless if you tell them you could potentially benefit from it. I think that that might actually help you out a bit just in case. You might not get anything if you don't have a better offer, but the worst they can do is say no. 

1 hour ago, LeafJuice said:

I received no merit based funding so kinda bummed, but still holding at hope for Robertson fellowship.  I'm not sure if award winners would have been notified from the gps merit aid notification that came out today or it's its own separate thing.  Anybody hear about Robertson by chance?

I believe that it is its own separate things. I know that they said this week would be just the fellowship from GPS. I think you should reach out to the Robertson Fellowship directly and see what they are doing over there to get a better feel for that situation. Would likely help at least clear your head to know that their decision is coming. 

7 hours ago, Skipper18542 said:

Congratulations! Told you that you would get in. Any news on your funding? Hopefully you get enough to finance your studies. Especially since you are international 

Nothing about funding has been heard yet...but I am trying to apply for other sources of funding, other than the UCSD. Challenging! 

5 hours ago, KatyaU said:

Nothing about funding has been heard yet...but I am trying to apply for other sources of funding, other than the UCSD. Challenging! 

Hopefully you get a decent scholarship either way. Happy to see you got in since you were super excited and really wanted to go to UCSD 

On 3/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, KatyaU said:

I have got the official admission letter recently! Very happy about it...

Congratulations. Can i know what kind of program you've got an admission? I nominated for admission MIA program early March, but I'm still waiting for official decision from Graduate Division. Anybody know when it will be released?

1 minute ago, kyh91 said:

Congratulations. Can i know what kind of program you've got an admission? I nominated for admission MIA program early March, but I'm still waiting for official decision from Graduate Division. Anybody know when it will be released?

Sure, MPP! What I know is that they have scheduled Admitted Students Days for 29-30 March....so it is still time. They are super busy now, so I am sure you will receive news from them very soon. 

Hey everyone! I received notice that I would be receiving a fellowship worth two years of non-resident tuition and fees. This is the best offer I received from any school and that means I am most likely attending GPS! I could not be more excited :)

6 hours ago, lilrhody said:

Hey everyone! I received notice that I would be receiving a fellowship worth two years of non-resident tuition and fees. This is the best offer I received from any school and that means I am most likely attending GPS! I could not be more excited :)

Congratulations!! Especially since it is a non-resident award so it is a lot more money than us residents. You must be so proud! As you should be! 

10 minutes ago, KatyaU said:

Thank you for asking! Not yet...and this does not provide me with a hope. 

Don’t feel too down. It took them a while to send me my aid package after I was accepted. About a week. So you still have time. I hope you get at least a decent chunk of funding. Would you still go even if they didn’t though? 

3 minutes ago, Skipper18542 said:

Don’t feel too down. It took them a while to send me my aid package after I was accepted. About a week. So you still have time. I hope you get at least a decent chunk of funding. Would you still go even if they didn’t though? 

Keeping my fingers crossed! Honestly, it is a huge amount of money for two years...

Did you get a separate notification about funding? Or was it a part of your admission letter? 

20 minutes ago, KatyaU said:

Keeping my fingers crossed! Honestly, it is a huge amount of money for two years...

Did you get a separate notification about funding? Or was it a part of your admission letter? 

I got a separate letter sent to me about a week later. So that might also be the case for you. I do believe they are currently in spring break so they might take a bit longer to get back to you. But if they don’t by then end of the week you can try to contact them. Here is the contact for the admissions director: sonja@ucsd.edu