UCSD GPS 2021

LeafJuice

11 minutes ago, 2020applicant... said:

There's a zoom Q and A happening right now regarding funding at GPS. I believe the zoom link was sent in an email in ~February

Thank you!! 

For anyone who was not able to attend, it sounds like merit aid notifications will be sent around “the end of next week/beginning of the following week” (which I think probably means March 11-16 roughly)!

Edited by LDmpp21

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I did have an interview in February. I have got a "nomination" email recently....and i am still waiting for an official admission letter. I have also got a message with the GPS scheduled student events taking place online from 15th March till 17th March - this is nice to feel you are already connected to the school. As I understood, information about funding will be sent by the end of March. Stay safe! 

6 hours ago, LeafJuice said:

anybody hear back about financial aid?  I read that we'd hear back by today, but still haven't got anything.

I was shocked about this too since we were supposed to hear back today. I emailed them to see what was going on but I had not heard back. Either way, I think that we should give them until Friday or so before panicking too much. Given the pandemic and all I honestly don't blame colleges for being a bit behind with their info and all. It really is hard to manage a place like this and have to meet everyones expectations as best as possible given their work situations. But at the same time I also get super anxious! I can't help myself! 

Anyone from the "nominated" cohort ....have you heard back with an official admission letter maybe? The GPS student events (15-17 March, online events to meet faculties) were wonderful to be honest. But I get very anxious too! 

13 minutes ago, KatyaU said:

Anyone from the "nominated" cohort ....have you heard back with an official admission letter maybe? The GPS student events (15-17 March, online events to meet faculties) were wonderful to be honest. But I get very anxious too! 

Yes. I heard back last week that I was officially admitted. Just waiting on their grants and scholarships. 

4 minutes ago, Skipper18542 said:

Yes. I heard back last week that I was officially admitted. Just waiting on their grants and scholarships. 

Awesome! Congrats....I am still waiting any response (no updates on the applicant portal as well) , maybe it takes longer for them to go through  all the files. I really enjoyed the GPS faculty office hours....felt like i really wanna study at UCSD :)

Just now, KatyaU said:

Awesome! Congrats....I am still waiting any response (no updates on the applicant portal as well) , maybe it takes longer for them to go through  all the files. I really enjoyed the GPS faculty office hours....felt like i really wanna study at UCSD :)

Did you apply for MIA or MPP? Maybe it takes a slightly different amount of time for each. I heard back from MPP so I can't comment on the other programs offered by GPS. But I hope that you get in since you seem like you are really excited to go!

Thank you so much, and i hope this too!!!

I have applied for MPP as well! And yes, I am keen on studying at the UCSD. As i understood, the GPRS student events with faculties have taken a lot of energy and time from the graduate commission, so it has might slightly slowed down the admission process. The other thing that they have scheduled other online events for the admitted students days (March 30 and 31!), so there is still time ...

59 minutes ago, KatyaU said:

Thank you so much, and i hope this too!!!

I have applied for MPP as well! And yes, I am keen on studying at the UCSD. As i understood, the GPRS student events with faculties have taken a lot of energy and time from the graduate commission, so it has might slightly slowed down the admission process. The other thing that they have scheduled other online events for the admitted students days (March 30 and 31!), so there is still time ...

I think that this could be the case. I know that they promised that their scholarship and grant figures would be released by the 17th of this month (yesterday), but I have yet to receive anything from them. I emailed them and I have yet to hear back. From what I have read before though, if you are nominated for admissions, you are very likely to be fully admitted. At least from what I have read from previous years (and this was the case for myself as I was admitted). 

Are you a California resident? Since that will also impact your ability to pay for it since it is a lot cheaper (unless you can pay out of pocket). What got you to like UCSD so much? 

15 minutes ago, Skipper18542 said:

I think that this could be the case. I know that they promised that their scholarship and grant figures would be released by the 17th of this month (yesterday), but I have yet to receive anything from them. I emailed them and I have yet to hear back. From what I have read before though, if you are nominated for admissions, you are very likely to be fully admitted. At least from what I have read from previous years (and this was the case for myself as I was admitted). 

Are you a California resident? Since that will also impact your ability to pay for it since it is a lot cheaper (unless you can pay out of pocket). What got you to like UCSD so much? 

I think this admission year is so much different to previous ones...taking into account that both the admission committee and the graduate committee are working home mostly. Now all the simple procedures definitely take more time than ever. I keep my fingers crossed for better times and the opportunity to study offline. 
Well, I have heard similar stories about nominated/admitted students. But this year is so unusual, ahhh

I am an international student, so I am also looking forward to hear any good news about financial support from the UCSD. It is quite a renowned school that is ranked pretty high (talking about political and policy studies), and I like the UCSD’s connection to the environmental sciences (I have a research background to be honest)....

51 minutes ago, KatyaU said:

I think this admission year is so much different to previous ones...taking into account that both the admission committee and the graduate committee are working home mostly. Now all the simple procedures definitely take more time than ever. I keep my fingers crossed for better times and the opportunity to study offline. 
Well, I have heard similar stories about nominated/admitted students. But this year is so unusual, ahhh

I am an international student, so I am also looking forward to hear any good news about financial support from the UCSD. It is quite a renowned school that is ranked pretty high (talking about political and policy studies), and I like the UCSD’s connection to the environmental sciences (I have a research background to be honest)....

Oh yes. For international students a good aid package is a must. It is twice the price that it is for us California residents so I can imagine it being a financial toll no matter what country you are from. I got into other schools this year and while some have been alright with funding others have been incredibly stingy, so I hope UCSD is pretty good when it comes to that this year.

1 minute ago, Skipper18542 said:

Oh yes. For international students a good aid package is a must. It is twice the price that it is for us California residents so I can imagine it being a financial toll no matter what country you are from. I got into other schools this year and while some have been alright with funding others have been incredibly stingy, so I hope UCSD is pretty good when it comes to that this year.

Well, keeping fingers for good! The past year was so much disappointing for everyone....

2 minutes ago, Ravine55 said:

MIA awards are going out. I got "Full California Resident Tuition and Fees: Year 1 and Year 2 ($53,118). This makes the decision much more difficult. 

Does this mean as in no scholarship or a full ride? I read what you posted a few times and I feel like it could mean either.