UCSD GPS 2021

LeafJuice

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ravine55 said:

Got my official letter late last night for the MIA, but no word on funding. Did anyone else get notified about funding? 

I also received an acceptance with no mention of funding. Take this with a grain of salt, but based on a quick look at past years' UCSD GPS threads, it seems that funding information may come in March.

Although I submitted mine back in January 12 but I got an email saying my application is under review today.

Also, they had a glitch saying one of my LOR is missing, but fixed a day after.

Has anyone got the similar message? If so, how long does it take to hear the decision?

Also, Anyone applying as a graduating senior? I am still in school and have to complete this semester to graduate, how would it work? Will it be provisional admission?

Oh yeah, and any applicant who transferred from a community college? I am CCC transfer and I do have competitive GPA from my CC (3.8) but my upper div GPA is at 3.3... I know this doesn't look good, but do they see combined GPA or just upper divs? 

10 hours ago, lilrhody said:

Wondering how many of you are considering attending even if you don't receive financial aid? I know this school has a good reputation but are the career outcomes comparable to other MPP/MAIR programs?

I would consider attending GPS with no financial aid if, come April, it ends up being the cheapest option available. Full in-state tuition at UCSD as a CA resident could end up being a cheaper overall package for me than other schools even with aid (for reference, I was admitted to Harris with modest aid and that is still significantly more expensive than UCSD with none). My views are colored by the fact that my career goals involve being in California and I like the program's curriculum.

With regards to career outcomes, in my opinion their employment statistics are a bit vague, but I found it useful to browse LinkedIn to get a sense of how many GPS alum work in the fields/geographies of interest to me and then compare that to other schools.

Edited by 2020applicant...

On 1/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, calmclamsulam said:

Although I submitted mine back in January 12 but I got an email saying my application is under review today.

Has anyone got the similar message? If so, how long does it take to hear the decision?

Also, Anyone applying as a graduating senior? I am still in school and have to complete this semester to graduate, how would it work? Will it be provisional admission?

Oh yeah, and any applicant who transferred from a community college? I am CCC transfer and I do have competitive GPA from my CC (3.8) but my upper div GPA is at 3.3... I know this doesn't look good, but do they see combined GPA or just upper divs? 

Same situation here... Got the message that my application is under review, not sure how long it would take them to send out any decision. Fingers cross!

7 hours ago, ShirleyJ said:

Same situation here... Got the message that my application is under review, not sure how long it would take them to send out any decision. Fingers cross!

A separate email to confirm the review status? I don't know why I received nothing?

8 hours ago, Tio said:

A separate email to confirm the review status? I don't know why I received nothing?

I submitted mine on Jan 4th, just for reference. I think they are reviewing applications in rounds, since they mentioned in my email that "We would like to include your file in the upcoming round of application reviews". So maybe you'll get an email later if you submit your application later? 

On 1/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, calmclamsulam said:

I am in the same boat as far as GPA’s are concerned (high CC gpa, 3.2 from UCLA). I’m sure they look at everything in a holistic sense. So if all you did during that time was go to school with some clubs here and there, you might be in trouble. In my case, I worked full time at an engineering firm as I am a non-traditional student and had to support myself. 

I'm a GPS alumni who gradated with an MIA a few years ago, focusing on the electric power industry. While my knowledge about the program is getting a bit stale I'm happy to answer any questions people may have.

(I'm a US citizen so can't speak to some questions from international students.)

@mapiau Thank you so much for your time!  Going into the program, did you already have an idea of the direction you wanted to go, or how did you end up where you are?  Would you have any recommendations for certain electives to take or avoid?  Any particular strengths or weaknesses of the program that stuck out to you during your time?  I'm really interested in the coursework, but I guess I'm a little unsure of what the process might be like for finding an internship between year 1 and 2, as well as finding a job after the program.   

10 hours ago, LeafJuice said:

@mapiau Thank you so much for your time!  Going into the program, did you already have an idea of the direction you wanted to go, or how did you end up where you are?  Would you have any recommendations for certain electives to take or avoid?  Any particular strengths or weaknesses of the program that stuck out to you during your time?  I'm really interested in the coursework, but I guess I'm a little unsure of what the process might be like for finding an internship between year 1 and 2, as well as finding a job after the program.   

I knew what industry I wanted to focus on before I started the program, which I think really benefited me. I spent a lot of time while in the program doing projects related to the energy industry and doing informational interviews with alumni jobs I was interested in. I found this to be really helpful.

I think the strengths of the program are a strong focus on job placement and relationships with some major employers (primarily in California). The energy-focused courses at GPS are also as strong as any other program and there's a large alumni network in that field. I found career services to be excellent and very attentive to students, though there has been some staff turnover since I graduated. I think the weaknesses of the program are the California location if you're interested in working in DC (though students do get jobs there) and the relatively young student body.

Career services is very helpful in helping students get internships but you definitely have to hustle to find something and not all students are able to. The same is true for jobs -- career services can make lots of connections and help with resume writing and interview prep but it certainly helps to have a clear goal of what field you'd like to work in from the start and focus on building connections within it during your time in grad school.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, lilrhody said:

What does it mean if I am required to attend "Economics + Math Camp" but neither of the others? Does anybody know when this takes place? Is it in person or online?

The camps are usually in August before class starts in Sept. I think they hosted the camp classes remotely last year, not sure how it will go this year... Did you have a social science or humanities undergrad major? They usually require it for folks who didn't take as much math in college to prep for the quant heavy classes in the first year.