UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism acceptance/COVID delay

Chrisehrm

Hello! I’m just trying to see if there are anybody else out here who might want to talk about what they think the waiting period might be before acceptance letters go out. With COVID, I’m assuming things might be slower than usual so I’m just trying to chat with some people! It’s my first time applying to grad school so I’m just anxious and nervous as all hell. What do you think?

Edited by Chrisehrm

• Chrisehrm changed the title to UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism acceptance/COVID delay

Hi I’m in the same boat. First time applying and confused re: covid and everything else. Literally was waiting for someone to post about this, so thank you!!! From what Ive gathered based on previous forums it seems like interviews and writing test invitations are sent out late December and January (though I’m not sure how late into January). But I’m thinking they 1) might be interviewing more people bc uptick in applicants, and virtual calling makes it easier to schedule more. 2) might be super delayed getting around to everyone bc of all those extra applications? Idk I’m wondering if people have already heard word about interviews. Hopefully we see some activity on this website sooooon!! I cant imagine we’ll hear anytime before late feb. 

Hi @Zb17 ! Yeah I’m wondering myself, I heard that Berkeley might be one of the later ones who sends out letters/does tests because when I saw some of the people from last year post their admittance it was like late Feb/early March. On the website, they say interviews/tests may run into Feb. as well. Regarding COVID, it’s just a guess I made because I’m not sure if other schools/programs it’s business as usual. Let’s definitely keep this space active if we hear anything! And I haven’t heard from anybody but if there’s anybody else out there who applied it’d be great to know! 

Edited by Chrisehrm

@Chrisehrm yeah so I spoke to someone not on admissions but on the board of directors and he told me that there’s been a massive surge in applicants this year :/// based on Covid and also because of the work Berkeley did this past spring working with the Nyt to do covid coverage. I mean definitely so cool, but surely makes it harder. Good to know tests and interviews are going a little later into the next month or so, I was getting p nervous. are you applying to any other schools?

@Zb17 ooff, yeah that doesn’t help my anxiety/doubts of getting in ? but that makes sense I guess, many people are looking to grad school as a safe alternative through COVID I feel. Are you coming from undergrad or the workforce? I’ve been working for about four years now, and decided let’s try the grad school route, if possible. And so, Berkeley was the only place I applied too — I know not the best idea to only apply to one — but it is my dream school. 

I’m still nervous because it says my stuff was received in Dec. but don’t know if that means it was reviewed. Also unsure if *not* receiving an invite for writing/interview is good or bad. I know it says some may not be contacted for it and still get in but it worries me haha I’m such an anxious person. 

Edited by Chrisehrm

@Chrisehrm I’m just out of undergrad! Finishing my fourth year now. I don’t think they post status updates to the portal unfortunately, although If so it looks like they’ve not gotten around to reviewing to mine either. 

fairly certain that most admitted students have an interview which is literally so stressful because now we’re not just waiting for one final email, we’re waiting for two! Hahaha. But what confuses me is that I’ve not heard anyone on this forum yet chatting about “what to expect in interviews” as they did in previous years. So I guess fingers crossed they’re taking their peeling through the applications and have not yet made interview selections.

@Zb17ahh nice, nice. And yeah I didn’t think they did that; I remember checking dozens of times to see any updates haha. It’s amazing how nervous this all makes me, especially now about this interview/test email. 

It seems basically if you don’t hear from them, it’s likely you won’t get admitted, which is stressful. I’ve had so many sleepless nights since the beginning of this month. 

And oh really? Do they normally have a forum on that? That would be super helpful. 

Edited by Chrisehrm

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to Berkeley too! have yet to hear back.. got so nervous, i even started dreaming about it lol. I'm currently working as a freelance reporter but with the pandemic, its been so hard that i'm basically unemployed. I applied for the documentary filmmaking program too. That program and the Columbia documentary program are my top two choices, but Berkeley would be amazing because I can get in-state tuition and its two years which i like!

3 hours ago, tavz said:

I applied to Berkeley too! have yet to hear back.. got so nervous, i even started dreaming about it lol. I'm currently working as a freelance reporter but with the pandemic, its been so hard that i'm basically unemployed. I applied for the documentary filmmaking program too. That program and the Columbia documentary program are my top two choices, but Berkeley would be amazing because I can get in-state tuition and its two years which i like!

Guess I’ll assume things will come through next week? Once February hits?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, Chrisehrm said:

@doe123 @Zb17

I definitely think by this point next week at least interviews will definitely be going out!

Have either of you heard anything yet? I heard the process is delayed so that definitely takes some stress off. 

I  have an interview coming up next week on Thursday. Has anyone else gotten an interview?

I think it went alright! They were very nice. i had some technical difficulties at the start with the zoom but they were very gracious about it. When is your interview?  Do you plan on going through the documentary track or more narrative?