History PhD, 2021

Saltwater

Hello all - I am new here and I don't know exactly how this site works yet. I was just curious if there are other PhD applicants who applied for matriculation for fall of 2021. I, like many, am in the waiting game - it is difficult. I have been focusing on reading as much as I can and trying to learn as much in preparation for what I hope are eventual acceptances. I wonder if anyone else has been doing this or has maybe been dealing with this in another way, or have found useful alternatives to kill the time while awaiting decisions that are of paramount importance. One thing that has been difficult for me in particular is the feeling of being in limbo, where no one who is in the same situation can really understand what its like to await PhD applications. Does anyone else feel this? 

Here's to everyone getting into the right school and trying to learn during a crazy time!

Hello, yes, I too am waiting on decisions and am finding the process excruciating! I think the fact I applied way back in early October makes this seem even longer but now that decisions are likely to come in the next few weeks it just seems more frightening and real now. I’m an Americanist and have applied to 16 schools hoping that at least one might pull through! I made contact and corresponded with professors at 14 out of the 16 I applied to, so hoping that they remember me now that they’re reading through the applications. You may want to check out the forum titled 2021 Application Thread in History as there is a lot more activity going on there! Recently it’s been a bit odd though with a dispute over a SOP... ?

HI, well first off good luck to you! I hope everything goes well with your applications! Do you have a number 1 where you would like to go to?

Also, being an Americanist sounds fun - I work on early modern Europe but I remember in college taking several American history courses that I absolutely loved where we worked a lot on the history of American ecology and food-ways. I think we even read Will Cronon! Anyhow, I applied to only a handful of schools. I can't wait until I hear back - at least I won't be in agony anymore haha. I used to think I would feel free after submitting applications because there was nothing else I could do, but I was wrong. The waiting game is in many ways more challenging. 

Also, what's been going on with the dispute on SOP? How do I find it?

Good luck to you also! :) 

I don’t necessarily have a top choice, but am particularly keen on Michigan, Yale and Vanderbilt. That being said, I’d be overjoyed to get an offer from any of the schools I’ve applied to! UT Austin would be nice also as half of my family lives in San Antonio & Austin. 

I’ve actually done some work on political Ecologies as well - I did a whole module on it actually! 

This is the link to the forum - I think the SOP dispute starts around page 16 or so, basically someone uploaded their opening statement of their SOP and some others have quite thoroughly critiqued it ? There’s a lot more basic Q&A posts on the forum though so you should check it out!

Okay! Thank you for dropping the link, I will check it out. And that’s fantastic, I hope that you get into the school(s) you want. I’ve never been, but I know that Vanderbilt is beautiful! You applied to a PhD or a MA?  

I definitely agree though, I would be over the moon to get in anywhere. It’s a great thing to like have that stability of knowing where you are going to go. I’m a history teacher and even though I enjoy it, I will be so happy to be a student again. 

Cheers!

No worries - hopefully it's useful (sometimes I find it a little stressful looking at it though in regards to the low number of admissions expected this year!) I applied for PhD programmes.

I hope so too - and for you as well! :) 

Feel free to DM if you want to keep in touch! :) 

Edited by scarletwitch

• 2 weeks later...

hey welcome to the website.

Yeah I applied for History PhD with a focus on African history. I'm currently doing a masters in the UK. January has been so long but February is when I expect hear back from programs. Fingers crossed for everyone. I have been learning more about African-American history the last few weeks AS I think I would like to do some coursework on the topic in grad school. :)