How prestigious is UT Southwestern in the biomed community?

MyStomachHurts

I applied to UTSW because I was interested in the program, faculty research, and because the app was free and I didn't need to submit GRE scores. I was just offered an interview, which I didn't expect, and when looking more into the program/university learned that it's top 20 in the world for both the program and research according to both US News and Nature!!! I know it's not a household name since they don't have an undergrad program. Personally I had never heard of them until I attended a grad fair, but I'm also the only person among my friends and family who isn't business. Is UTSW really that well known in the science community too?

First off, congratulations on your interview! You should be very proud of yourself and your accomplishments. I may be biased because I personally didn't consider prestige a factor in deciding where to apply, but I think what matters is your fit with the program. You seem interested in the program, so as long as you're comfortable there and your research goals align with the program's, prestige shouldn't matter. Go to the interview and see how you like the faculty and students you talk to, then base your decision on that. Also, look at the outcomes from the program - even less well-known programs can graduate students with accomplished careers. Best of luck from a fellow fall 2021 applicant! 

On 1/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, queerorpheus said:

First off, congratulations on your interview! You should be very proud of yourself and your accomplishments. I may be biased because I personally didn't consider prestige a factor in deciding where to apply, but I think what matters is your fit with the program. You seem interested in the program, so as long as you're comfortable there and your research goals align with the program's, prestige shouldn't matter. Go to the interview and see how you like the faculty and students you talk to, then base your decision on that. Also, look at the outcomes from the program - even less well-known programs can graduate students with accomplished careers. Best of luck from a fellow fall 2021 applicant! 

Thanks!!! I'm really excited!!!

I'm more curious than anything! I was super surprised when I found it out because even working in this field, usually you hear about revolutionary papers coming out from UMich, UWisconsin and WashU. So I wasn't sure if I was living under a rock, or if rankings really are that arbitrary