Slavic MA/PhD Applicants for Fall 2021?

mashatheicebear

I know Slavic isn't a huge topic on here, but was wondering if anyone else is waiting on pins and needles to hear from programs.

Since several of my top choices were not accepting applications this year, I applied to four Slavic programs and two Lit/Comp Lit. 

Just got my first interview request for the Comp Lit program but am wondering if anyone has heard from the Slavic Departments at Princeton, Stanford or Northwestern yet. I know they send out acceptances first, and all were a bit of a long shot for me, but the anticipation is a bit agonizing. Would love any info you all might have to share!

Hi! I've also applied for Slavic programs this year—I only applied to Princeton and Harvard. I was just admitted to Princeton and have interviewed with Harvard; both moved pretty quickly after application submission. Not sure about the others, but thought I might give you the heads up on Princeton.

I hope you hear something back from the Slavic programs soon!

On 1/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, Theidlewheel said:

Hi! I've also applied for Slavic programs this year—I only applied to Princeton and Harvard. I was just admitted to Princeton and have interviewed with Harvard; both moved pretty quickly after application submission. Not sure about the others, but thought I might give you the heads up on Princeton.

I hope you hear something back from the Slavic programs soon!

Thank you! That looks like an amazing program and very selective, so huge congratulations are in order! I was not holding my breath on it, since I didn't get an interview, but glad I can now put it out of my head.

If I strike out this year, I will try again next, when more departments are accepting applications. It was an odd year for applications.

Fingers crossed for you that you get two acceptances and get to pick your favorite! 

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, vivian_ said:

Hi all! Just wanted to poke my head in and see if anyone else was applying to MA programs. I applied to NYU and Columbia and am very curious about both programs. 

Hey! I didn't apply to MAs this year but I did get my MA in Russian Lit from Columbia back in 2009. It was PHENOMENAL. Most of the professors I worked with are no longer there, but the department is really excellent and the course of study is pretty well-rounded. I will say, the free-standing MA is grueling because you do almost two years of coursework in a year+one summer, so it is intense. If you end up getting in, I definitely have more advice to share! Do you have a plan for what to do with your MA? (I didn't really when I got mine so no judgement if you are doing it just because you love it. I have a bit of a different perspective on the pros/cons now, almost 12 years later...)

On 2/16/2021 at 1:55 PM, Jpycco said:

Anything new?

Nothing on my end. Awaiting implied rejections from my last two Slavic programs Northwestern and Stanford. (Didn't get invited to interview at either.) Looks like I will be going the Comp Lit route, since that is the only program I got into and I am a bit old to try again next year...

Just wanted to post that I reached out to Stanford and they said that applicants should be hearing in the next week or two. Not sure if anyone has already received an acceptance, but thought I'd spread the word in case anyone else is waiting.

Also, if the person who got an interview at Northwestern is on this chat: Have you heard anything yet? 

2 hours ago, prigov said:

I had an interview with Northwestern and they told me they wanted to take me. Since then I haven't heard back from them (2 weeks?..), so I'm a little nervous.

Congratulations! If that is what they verbally represented, I am sure you will get in. That is marvelous! It's such a phenomenal program. Keep us posted and I hope you get your formal offer soon!

On 2/18/2021 at 12:28 PM, mashatheicebear said:

Hey! I didn't apply to MAs this year but I did get my MA in Russian Lit from Columbia back in 2009. It was PHENOMENAL. Most of the professors I worked with are no longer there, but the department is really excellent and the course of study is pretty well-rounded. I will say, the free-standing MA is grueling because you do almost two years of coursework in a year+one summer, so it is intense. If you end up getting in, I definitely have more advice to share! Do you have a plan for what to do with your MA? (I didn't really when I got mine so no judgement if you are doing it just because you love it. I have a bit of a different perspective on the pros/cons now, almost 12 years later...)

Nothing on my end. Awaiting implied rejections from my last two Slavic programs Northwestern and Stanford. (Didn't get invited to interview at either.) Looks like I will be going the Comp Lit route, since that is the only program I got into and I am a bit old to try again next year...

I want to stay on the academic track and eventually go on to do a PhD in either CompLit (which I studied as an undergrad) or Slavic Studies. I'm hoping doing an MA would help me refine my research interests and fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the Russian tradition. I studied the language for 4 years, did a summer abroad, and wrote a senior project on Russian literature/literary theory, but I still feel like doing an MA first would really help me formulate a PhD project (as well as give me a taste of what graduate studies might be like)!

Edited by vivian_

On 2/28/2021 at 9:24 AM, vivian_ said:

I want to stay on the academic track and eventually go on to do a PhD in either CompLit (which I studied as an undergrad) or Slavic Studies. I'm hoping doing an MA would help me refine my research interests and fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the Russian tradition. I studied the language for 4 years, did a summer abroad, and wrote a senior project on Russian literature/literary theory, but I still feel like doing an MA first would really help me formulate a PhD project (as well as give me a taste of what graduate studies might be like)!

I would say an MA would definitely do all of those things for you. While most of the faculty I worked with at Columbia is gone now, I can say it is an excellent program and I found it most enlightening. The faculty was supportive, interested (in my work and also in me, as a person) and very interesting. I will say that, if you opt to continue to a PhD at another school/in another program, you may find (as I am finding now) that you will not be able to transfer much of your MA coursework toward your PhD. Be that as it may, it will definitely prepare you for graduate studies and give you an amazing foundation from which to go forth and do excellent, interesting and rigorous work.