Specific Advice to Undergrad

hopefullysoc16

Hello! I’m a first-year undergrad studying sociology and public policy. While premature to make such claims, I’m very confident—presently—in my desire to go to grad school in Sociology. My experience as an RA, Soc classes, and long history of reading sociology reaffirms this desire. With more exposure to the discipline and the world of those who study it, I’m increasingly motivated to pursue this passion. I’ve met with many profs seeking their advice with respect to top grad school admissions and have heard things like taking quant classes, trying to get started on my independent research, and looking for more opportunities in the field. With that being said, what specific advice does this community have for someone early in my college career? What types of classes, projects, experiences, etc. might I pursue in order to make me competitive for a top program out of undergrad? That is, what do top undergrad admits at these programs have in their file that I might work towards over my time. Thanks for your time and insight — i’m happy to answer any questions below!

I would say research is the one and only thing that’s a tried-and-true way to increase your chances. Everything else just varies too much from candidate to candidate. People come from all different backgrounds, and it becomes about the whole package—does this person fit the program? Would they do well here?—rather than ticking the right achievement boxes. 

Having research experience is really the thing that can set you apart, because that’s what grad school is about. Having a publication and presentations would put you beyond many other candidates (I had none). 

I doubt admissions committees will be looking at your transcripts to make sure you took one specific class or something. If they had for me, I wouldn’t have gotten in, because I never took a single sociology class. Your classes can still matter, though, because you want to take what speaks to you and helps build your interests. That will be important for articulating why you want to go to a given school. 

I had volunteering experience, writing and entrepreneurial experience, and experience working in nonprofits and teaching. I doubt any of these things really caught anyone’s eye, but they proved that I was motivated and a hard worker. So taken together, they painted a good picture. I would suggest not doing something because you’re “supposed to.” Make sure you do things you’re passionate about, because that comes through in your application.

Then, of course, there’s the generic advice to get good grades and a good GRE score.