Will the GRE be required in future admissions seasons?

AnxiousBeaver

• 4 weeks later...

I've been hearing a lot of mixed messages for the 2022 cycle. As of now in the U.S. it seems like the summer will still be a difficult time. But if Biden really pulls through and vaccinate every adult by the end of May most schools that already used the GRE before the pandemic may likely go back to it. I'd be interested to hear from other people though. I'm really hoping it gets waived next year too.

• 3 months later...

I contacted UCSC's Sociology department a while ago on a whim and asked if they were going to waive again this year and they never replied to me. IF departments decided to waive again this year, it would have been responsible and mindful if they made the decision BEFORE everyone invested a ridiculous amount of time (and often money) into the test this time. It just boggles my mind that even though the peer-reviewed research shows definitively that there is no correlation between GRE scores and superior performance in graduate school/later "success", the test so often continues to be required, especially when we also know it exacerbates so many issues of inequality and disparity.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that my programs of interest have been removing their "GRE waived" notices from their admissions pages and the average accepted scores have returned. IRT how the GRE doesn't actually predict performance, I can't help but wonder if there is monetary incentive for requiring the test... ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, Thomas Trinh said:

Hi guys. Do you know when will they announce the policies related to GRE waived? It's nearly August and I have email some universities but they haven't replied to me. 

That’s strange. The few schools I’m applying to already all mention on their websites which of their programs will require GRE, which ones won’t accept GRE scores at all, and which ones will have GRE as optional for the upcoming admissions cycle. If the schools you’re considering  don’t have it listed on their websites yet, I’m guessing they might know by August or September.