Should I improve my TOEFL/GRE?

Codename

I'm planning to apply to the PhD in Computer Science(with fin. aid) for the Fall 2011. I've recently passed the GRE General with the following scores: 700 Q, 300 V, and 2.5 AW(my previous result is 3.0). 

I have a research experience in the field of CS, and my LoR and SoP are sufficiently persuasive. My Undergrad GPA is 3.72/4, MS GPA is  4/4. TOEFL iBT score is 88(22/22/23/21).

Does anybody know are these test results enough to receive funding at the following universities:

Michigan Tech

New Jersey Institute of Technology

Oklahoma State University

Oregon State University

Portland State University

University of Alabama in Huntsville

University of Idaho

University of Tennessee-Knoxville

University of Texas at San Antonio

University of Wyoming

Virginia Tech

Wright State University

Illinois Institute of Technology

And in case my results are very low what is necessarily to improve in my admission package?

I would take GRE again. The verbal and analytical writing scores are quite low (no offense intended unsure.gif). I imagine in your field the quantitative score is the most important, but as far as funding is concerned, you want to make sure you have a very competitive GRE. I think in some schools they look at it when they decide who's getting the funding.

And as for the TOEFL, although you have more than the required score (and I know of people getting full funding with a lower TOEFL score than yours), I think it would be a good idea to improve it if you have time. In some schools, even if you "pass" the TOEFL you are required to pass their own English exams or take a course, and if your score is high enough, you get a waiver. A professor of the department where I'll be next year told me that I'll probably get a waiver from the department to take the exam, since my score was really good (I honestly was surprised when I received it).

That's just my 2 cents. rolleyes.gif

I'm assuming since you took TOEFFL that English is your second language.

Most schools it seems weigh the fact that you are not a native speaker into their decision. There are a couple posts on this board from students who had lower scores on the GRE similar to yours who got into programs.

I would however retake it and try to raise your scores, especially the AW and the Verbal. The AW is the easiest score to raise.

Best of luck.

I think the two posts above are right in saying that you should take the GRE again but somewhat wrong about the reason why. You should take the GRE again mainly to improve your QUANT score. For any well-regarded science or engineering program 700 is not acceptable. Most, if not all, schools will be lenient on you regarding your verbal and AW scores. All the same, raising those two scores can only help you in the long run when it comes to distancing yourself from all of the other international students applying. Your verbal and AW scores are slightly below average for competitive international students.

I work in international admissions at a major public that is a peer institution to many of those that you listed, though not listed and I think you are overlooking my school rolleyes.gif, and the CS department would not even consider a student with a sub 1100 composite GRE score.

Regarding the TOEFL, all you need to do is meet the MINIMUM TOEFL for your institution. I am frankly surprised at your low GRE verbal and AW when viewed alongside your respectable iBT.

In short, take the GRE again and make sure you hit at least 85th percentile or above in quant and raise your verbal and AW above the 50th percentile if possible.

Edited by fadeindreams

I think the two posts above are right in saying that you should take the GRE again but somewhat wrong about the reason why. You should take the GRE again mainly to improve your QUANT score. For any well-regarded science or engineering program 700 is not acceptable. Most, if not all, schools will be lenient on you regarding your verbal and AW scores. All the same, raising those two scores can only help you in the long run when it comes to distancing yourself from all of the other international students applying. Your verbal and AW scores are slightly below average for competitive international students.

I work in international admissions at a major public that is a peer institution to many of those that you listed, though not listed and I think you are overlooking my school rolleyes.gif, and the CS department would not even consider a student with a sub 1100 composite GRE score.

Regarding the TOEFL, all you need to do is meet the MINIMUM TOEFL for your institution. I am frankly surprised at your low GRE verbal and AW when viewed alongside your respectable iBT.

In short, take the GRE again and make sure you hit at least 85th percentile or above in quant and raise your verbal and AW above the 50th percentile if possible.

I definitely agree with your take on the GREs. Codename, you are applying to Ph.D programs in CS. Your quant score is where applicants to Masters and PhD Programs in liberal arts and social sciences score. I don't think there is much you can do about the verbal score given that you are not a native speaker but perhaps you could score in the 400 range as well.

My advice would be to postpone admissions, work hard on the GREs and apply in 1-2 years. With decent GREs (higher quant and a little higher verbal) you would have a shot at better schools and a decent shot at funding at the schools to which you already applied. Good luck!

Sorry about that! :unsure: I'm an international going for Linguistics, and didn't know a GRE Quant score of 700 was not acceptable. But thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your answers! They are very helpful for me and the situation is getting more clear.  

The hardest problem in the GRE quantitative section for me is the time limit. But at least I have several month to prepare better and to do my best at the next exam session.

By the way, does anybody know what is the possibility to be admitted for a Spring/Summer term as an international PhD student comparing with a Fall term?

Edited by Codename

I don't know about possibilities compared to US students, but I think not all programs offer you the possibility of applying for the Spring term. Check with the schools first.