Critical/Visual & Curatorial Studies - Fall 2021

gennie

Has anyone heard back from MA programs in critical/visual and/or curatorial studies for Fall 2021? I applied to Columbia (MODA), SAIC, and CCS Bard and I’m super anxious about... everything— potential interviews, admissions decisions, program funding, etc. Anyone in the same boat?? Any insights??

1 hour ago, genniekate said:

Has anyone heard back from MA programs in critical/visual and/or curatorial studies for Fall 2021? I applied to Columbia (MODA), SAIC, and CCS Bard and I’m super anxious about... everything— potential interviews, admissions decisions, program funding, etc. Anyone in the same boat?? Any insights??

Honestly the waiting is awful!!! I'm in the same boat. Applied to a mix of Art History and Visual Studies/Curatorial Studies terminal MAs for F21. SAIC, IFA, CCS, Hunter. Haven't heard from any yet though I did get an e-mail this week about a DHL package on it's way (currently living internationally) from SAIC? I applied to both their Modern and Contemporary and VCS programs. I recently noticed they changed or accepted a second round of applications for the VCS program because now the deadline shows up as April 1. In any case, not sure which of the two programs sent the package, but I don't think they'd spend $100 on it just to send a rejection letter right? Atleast that's what I keep hoping to ease my anxiety until it arrives ?

2 hours ago, eebw said:

Honestly the waiting is awful!!! I'm in the same boat. Applied to a mix of Art History and Visual Studies/Curatorial Studies terminal MAs for F21. SAIC, IFA, CCS, Hunter. Haven't heard from any yet though I did get an e-mail this week about a DHL package on it's way (currently living internationally) from SAIC? I applied to both their Modern and Contemporary and VCS programs. I recently noticed they changed or accepted a second round of applications for the VCS program because now the deadline shows up as April 1. In any case, not sure which of the two programs sent the package, but I don't think they'd spend $100 on it just to send a rejection letter right? Atleast that's what I keep hoping to ease my anxiety until it arrives ?

Are you sure the new April deadline isn’t for Fall 2022? It’s been awhile since the January deadline passed, so maybe the website has been updated for 2022-24?

My intuition says they wouldn’t DHL anything unless it was an admissions offer. I can’t say for sure, but it seems like a rejection would come via email. My fingers are crossed for you!!! :)

On 2/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, genniekate said:

Are you sure the new April deadline isn’t for Fall 2022? It’s been awhile since the January deadline passed, so maybe the website has been updated for 2022-24?

My intuition says they wouldn’t DHL anything unless it was an admissions offer. I can’t say for sure, but it seems like a rejection would come via email. My fingers are crossed for you!!! :)

I'm not sure on the VCS deadline. I think that maybe they have two rounds for Fall 2021, at least that's what they make it seem like on the website. Though I would imagine that since the January deadline came first they'd let those students know first. My feeling is that maybe they didn't get as many applications in as normal years for those programs given everything happening? Have you heard anything from any of the other programs you've applied to?

And thank you! Fingers crossed until it arrives!!! ??

1 hour ago, eebw said:

I'm not sure on the VCS deadline. I think that maybe they have two rounds for Fall 2021, at least that's what they make it seem like on the website. Though I would imagine that since the January deadline came first they'd let those students know first. My feeling is that maybe they didn't get as many applications in as normal years for those programs given everything happening? Have you heard anything from any of the other programs you've applied to?

And thank you! Fingers crossed until it arrives!!! ??

I haven’t heard back from any programs yet. I know one of them emails admissions decisions precisely on March 15, though. I think I’ll hear from all of them by March 31, and I kinda thought SAIC might notify me first. Aaahhhhh I don’t know! Not knowing is driving me insane!! Have you heard from anywhere else??

Hey! I also applied to Columbia - are they doing interviews? I saw some interviewees on the results page for PhD applicants, but nothing so far for MODA! Haven't heard anything from them at all. Anyway, best of luck to you :)

3 hours ago, genniekate said:

I haven’t heard back from any programs yet. I know one of them emails admissions decisions precisely on March 15, though. I think I’ll hear from all of them by March 31, and I kinda thought SAIC might notify me first. Aaahhhhh I don’t know! Not knowing is driving me insane!! Have you heard from anywhere else??

I feellllll you on that. The waiting is awful! Especially since I feel like the past few months have been defined by getting ready to apply/the stress of submitting the application and all of the anxiety that goes with it (is it good enough, how does it compare, etc) and now it's just this void of waiting and idk what to do with myself  haha. At least we know everyone is in the same boat though, so there's some comfort in that solidarity!

I'm sure you'll hear back from SAIC soon. From what I saw on their website they mail decisions via first class mail by March 1 for most programs? So you might hear back from them before the other schools. I know CCS announces March 31 so that might be the last one to let you know. 

I haven't heard from any other places yet, sitting here twiddling my thumbs until the SAIC package arrives this upcoming Monday. 

1 hour ago, eebw said:

I feellllll you on that. The waiting is awful! Especially since I feel like the past few months have been defined by getting ready to apply/the stress of submitting the application and all of the anxiety that goes with it (is it good enough, how does it compare, etc) and now it's just this void of waiting and idk what to do with myself  haha. At least we know everyone is in the same boat though, so there's some comfort in that solidarity!

I'm sure you'll hear back from SAIC soon. From what I saw on their website they mail decisions via first class mail by March 1 for most programs? So you might hear back from them before the other schools. I know CCS announces March 31 so that might be the last one to let you know. 

I haven't heard from any other places yet, sitting here twiddling my thumbs until the SAIC package arrives this upcoming Monday. 

I received the “big envelope” a few hours ago; accepted for Fall 2021. Did not contain any info on financial aid, so I’m hoping that’s to follow. I’m SUPER excited, but for me, sooooo much depends on financial aid. I’m sure you’ll receive your admission decision very soon. Good luck and let me know the outcome (if you’re comfortable doing so). Maybe we’ll be meeting in person! Fingers crossed for you on all the programs you applied to!!!

15 hours ago, genniekate said:

I received the “big envelope” a few hours ago; accepted for Fall 2021. Did not contain any info on financial aid, so I’m hoping that’s to follow. I’m SUPER excited, but for me, sooooo much depends on financial aid. I’m sure you’ll receive your admission decision very soon. Good luck and let me know the outcome (if you’re comfortable doing so). Maybe we’ll be meeting in person! Fingers crossed for you on all the programs you applied to!!!

Congratulations!!! So happy for you! That's so exciting. I actually attended this zoom webinar they had about financial aid and I think they said that the financial aid package usually comes along within two weeks from when you get your admissions decision so you'll probably be getting that soon too! If they give you enough aid would that be your first choice? 

I'll definitely be posting to let you know re: SAIC, hopefully we'll be meeting each other in the open day ? Good luck with the other programs too!

On 2/13/2021 at 9:25 AM, genniekate said:

Have you heard anything back from Bard yet?? I've also applied to CCS and still waiting... I believe they'll be sending out emails by now for interviews and not hearing back makes me suuper anxious... ?

Edited by gogomaddy

On 2/23/2021 at 6:54 AM, eebw said:

hey! got the "big envelope" for vcs today 

Yesssss!! Congrats!!! ?  DHL was a dead giveaway, but I know waiting to be 110% sure is nerve-wrecking lol.

Have you heard from anywhere else yet?? Interviews? Decisions?

On 2/16/2021 at 11:38 AM, a-c-relly said:

Hey! I also applied to Columbia - are they doing interviews? I saw some interviewees on the results page for PhD applicants, but nothing so far for MODA! Haven't heard anything from them at all. Anyway, best of luck to you :)

I haven't heard anything about MODA interviews. Regarding admission decisions, I don't think anyone will hear anything until emails are sent March 15th. I could be wrong, but historically CU has stuck pretty hard to that March 15th -17th notification date for the MA program. Also, I don't think art history PhD admission stuff is a good gauge for the MA program timeline, but again, I could be wrong.

Has anyone else heard from MODA??

(And good luck to you, too! ? ? )

4 hours ago, gogomaddy said:

Have you heard anything back from Bard yet?? I've also applied to CCS and still waiting... I believe they'll be sending out emails by now for interviews and not hearing back makes me suuper anxious... ?

No word from Bard yet, but it looks like in the past they've sent out admission decisions mid-late March. I don't know anything about CCS interviews. (Anybody out there with insight into this??) I'm wondering if COVID is affecting the admissions process for these programs. For example, I thought SAIC almost always conducts interviews, but I haven't heard of anyone being interviewed for the non-MFA programs this year...

Has anyone noticed a change in their application status from 'Submitted' to 'Under Review' in the Columbia GSAS portal? I haven't, but I've seen some people from other CU programs talking about it... Also, CU spring break is March 1st through March 5th, so that might impact admissions stuff.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, gennie said:

Yesssss!! Congrats!!! ?  DHL was a dead giveaway, but I know waiting to be 110% sure is nerve-wrecking lol.

Have you heard from anywhere else yet?? Interviews? Decisions?

Thank youuu!

And nope, nothing yet! You? 

I had heard that SAIC's other programs should be letting applicants know as of this week. But everywhere else I applied to typically doesn't announce until mid-late March. I think out of all of the programs I applied to Bard is the last one to let people know. I just hope everyone sends out results before April 1st ?

Is Columbia your top choice? 

On 2/27/2021 at 9:03 PM, gennie said:

Has anyone noticed a change in their application status from 'Submitted' to 'Under Review' in the Columbia GSAS portal? I haven't, but I've seen some people from other CU programs talking about it... Also, CU spring break is March 1st through March 5th, so that might impact admissions stuff.

Hey! Mine still says "submitted" too. Ugh- the wait is just agony! You said they've sent decisions March 15-17 in the past, yeah? Hopefully it won't be anymore delayed than that this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, brubrews said:

I also applied to the Columbia MODA program and am STILL waiting. I got into the SAIC dual degree program and their decision deadline is April 1st so I can't wait much longer....

Which dual?

My app for MODA still says "submitted" in the portal -losing hope. Has anyone heard anything? I saw in the results page that last year they didn't tell rejected applicants until May! So if i don't hear by the end of next week I think I'll accept my other offer.