Economics - Public Policy

Hello all,

I am currently researching graduate schools and am trying to figure out which school best fits my concentration. I have an undergrad degree in Finance and am very interested in economics. That being said, I also have strong desire to learn more about the public policy side of economics and explore more of the theory based aspects (rather than the math based, econometric side, although not opposed to it). I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter. Right now, the three schools I am really trying to decide between are Columbia SIPA, NYU Wagner, and UDenver. Thanks.

Have you been accepted to those three programs and you're trying to decide where to matriculate? Or are you deciding where to apply? Where to visit before you apply? Why those three in particular and not others? If you're just targeting schools, why not plan to apply to all three and some others? You can worry about your best fit after you've gotten all your acceptances. cool.gif

That said, the stereotypes of Wagner and Korbel are essentially what you described, with the stereotypical focus at Wagner being city-state public/non-profit, and the stereotypical focus at Korbel being more national/international. Columbia also is stereotypically seen as more national/international but with slightly more quant, especially on the finance side.

But those are just the stereotypes. You can get pretty much whatever you want out of any MPP/MPA program at any top school. Definitely visit and sit in on classes if you can afford to and absolutely try to get as much info as you can before you apply. It'll help with the SOPs.