Comparative Politics/Area Studies Corner

rtrm

economists and political scientists are loving using geography to explain political and economic outcomes these days...come on over!

It wouldn't work out. You all tend to turn your noses up at qualitative and mixed methods approaches, which are the basis of my research.

It wouldn't work out. You all tend to turn your noses up at qualitative and mixed methods approaches, which are the basis of my research.

Berkeley is a big tent! There are still places that privilege the qualitative method, but you are right, they are shrinking in number.

Still, I thought geography would be pretty quantitative...

Berkeley is a big tent! There are still places that privilege the qualitative method, but you are right, they are shrinking in number.

Still, I thought geography would be pretty quantitative...

Nope, not really. Well, at some schools yes but in lots of places human geography is rooted in fieldwork and qualitative research.

It looks like I'm heading to Florida State, and I was wondering if anyone had any info to share on their comparativists, the department in general, and its reputation. One of the reasons I'm going to FSU is because they seem to have some reputable formal theorists, but I don't know what the reputation of their comparativists is in general. I'm interested in the Middle East, and they don't seem to have very many comparativists working on that region. Should that worry me? Any info anyone can share with me would be appreciated.

I don't have the GRE scores or Ivy League background to compete for the Ivy League schools for Comparative Politics of SubSaharan Africa, so I am leaning towards CUNY and Penn State. Any one else know of programs or profs for such middle tier schools?