I did a dumb thing. Can I still be helped or is it too late?

eastafricanhopeful

Question

I would really appreciate anyone who could tell me anything about the admission process for the  DTP at LSE, for a 1+3 applicant. Other than the official websites that I've spent days poring over, I haven't found any info online. I submitted my application but didn't reach out to a potential supervisor, even though I had already identified one, because I ran out of time. I told my self to not be neurotic and forget about it and enjoy the christmas holiday (This was more than 8 weeks ago). Now I'm thinking how dumb that was, I should have seen my plan through and contacted a supervisor even after submission. Note that I'm applying for the Msc+ PhD (1+3) track so I also just told myself that they don't particularly need to hear from applicants that aren't going straight into PhDs. Should I do it now? Even though it's so late. The chances were already so slim to begin with (I'm international, check username :)) but, I mean, I haven't been rejected yet, so there may be a chance, right?

Somebody Pls help 

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I've applied at LSE for an MPhil/PhD program in the social sciences. The program I applied to is eligible ESRC funding and internal studentship funding. I didn't reach out to potential supervisor before I sent in my application, but I did interview with a couple professors early in February who were chosen to be my potential supervisors. I think it may help to reach out to potential supervisors to get feedback on your application/ proposal, but I don't think it will make or break your chances of receiving funding! 

On 2/22/2021 at 6:34 PM, blue_roses said:

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I've applied at LSE for an MPhil/PhD program in the social sciences. The program I applied to is eligible ESRC funding and internal studentship funding. I didn't reach out to potential supervisor before I sent in my application, but I did interview with a couple professors early in February who were chosen to be my potential supervisors. I think it may help to reach out to potential supervisors to get feedback on your application/ proposal, but I don't think it will make or break your chances of receiving funding! 

This is what I heard as well when applying. I didn't receive ESRC funding (I didn't think I'd get in at all), but I was accepted to the MSc program I applied to. From what I understood from attending sessions is reaching out is welcome, but not mandatory. Especially, for MSc student applying for funding for an eventual PhD through the school. 

Also, @eastafricanhopeful I never reached out either, but your "dumb" thing was significantly less than my own where I repeatedly misspelled the name of the funding I was trying to apply for throughout my application (not surprised one bit I didn't get it). The horror when I realized. Ugh... ? My recommendations and research proposal probably saved my application. 

Edited by PopStudies

On 2/23/2021 at 2:17 AM, eastafricanhopeful said:

Thanks so much for replying...at least now I can manage my expectations.  

Congrats on getting shortlisted also! That's no mean feat.  Did they tell you when they would be getting back to you with a final result?

Thank you! They informally got back to me a few days after my interview to let me know that they would be giving me an offer of place and would be nominating me for funding. However, I don't think that this is typical, but my potential supervisors wanted me to restructure and add to some of my arguments in the proposal before it was sent to the scholarship panel. I think I just got really lucky that they were willing to provide some feedback in this late stage to up my chances. However, it's been a couple weeks since this happened and I haven't received any formal communication, my application still says "under review by the department." 

I'm not sure when I'll hear the results on funding (from other online chat rooms I'm thinking late March). Again, I think it's not super common to hear back right now, so don't give up hope & good luck!! :) 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:54 PM, PopStudies said:

This is what I heard as well when applying. I didn't receive ESRC funding (I didn't think I'd get in at all), but I was accepted to the MSc program I applied to. From what I understood from attending sessions is reaching out is welcome, but not mandatory. Especially, for MSc student applying for funding for an eventual PhD through the school. 

Also, @eastafricanhopeful I never reached out either, but your "dumb" thing was significantly less than my own where I repeatedly misspelled the name of the funding I was trying to apply for throughout my application (not surprised one bit I didn't get it). The horror when I realized. Ugh... ? My recommendations and research proposal probably saved my application. 

Congrats on your offer! I got a transcript drop (no official offer yet) so I was really curious how that would pan out. Looks like it could be the MSc without the Phd, I can live with that. About your dumb thing, I hope you don't mind that I laughed a little, it sounds like something I would do!

7 hours ago, blue_roses said:

Thank you! They informally got back to me a few days after my interview to let me know that they would be giving me an offer of place and would be nominating me for funding. However, I don't think that this is typical, but my potential supervisors wanted me to restructure and add to some of my arguments in the proposal before it was sent to the scholarship panel. I think I just got really lucky that they were willing to provide some feedback in this late stage to up my chances. However, it's been a couple weeks since this happened and I haven't received any formal communication, my application still says "under review by the department." 

I'm not sure when I'll hear the results on funding (from other online chat rooms I'm thinking late March). Again, I think it's not super common to hear back right now, so don't give up hope & good luck!! :) 

Oh, to be you right now! I have no doubt that these next few years are going to be amazing for you. Your supervisors already sound super engaged.