How long does it take to get offers back?

I am not really sure about the admission offer timeline, and I wanted to know if it was appropriate to reach out to the PI that invited you to the official visit day. One of my schools offered me admission two days after the interview while I have not heard back in 3 weeks from other schools I interviewed at. At one of these schools, the PI said she would reach out to me in 1-2 weeks...so I am just wondering if it is appropriate to shoot her an email asking where she is at in the decision process....

26 minutes ago, Stumbling_My_Way_Through said:

I am not really sure about the admission offer timeline, and I wanted to know if it was appropriate to reach out to the PI that invited you to the official visit day. One of my schools offered me admission two days after the interview while I have not heard back in 3 weeks from other schools I interviewed at. At one of these schools, the PI said she would reach out to me in 1-2 weeks...so I am just wondering if it is appropriate to shoot her an email asking where she is at in the decision process....

If it has been three weeks since an interview, I think it's fine to send a quick e-mail expressing your continued interest for the program and inquire about your status. If you have an offer, you can mention that you have received an offer. If you would prefer the school you are waiting on, you can say so. Like "I have received an offer from another program that I am considering, but prefer this program (the one you are waiting on) and would love to have any updates regarding my status and timeline for decisions as I consider all options." if the one you are waiting on is your first choice, I think it's fine to say that too.

If someone explicitly gave you a timeline and it's been longer than that, you should definitely contact them! If they didn't give you a timeline, I would wait ~3 weeks or so after your last contact with them. Just try to keep your message short and focused. Faculty tend to respond more quickly to shorter messages.