Film Studies - History & Film Movements Worldwide

Nightstar

I have previously studied several topics to do with Film Movements.

According to Bordwell and Thompson, a film movement consists of :-

“Films that are produced within a particular period and/or nation that share significant traits of style and form... and... Filmmakers who operate within a common production structure and who share certain assumptions about filmmaking” (Bordwell & Thompson – Film Art p464 Seventh Edition)

So far i have analysed Japanese cinema, Italian Neo- Realism & German Expressionism.

I would like to contrast and compare developments in film history between the earlier and later movements within the field. What are the changes in focus, if any?

It's been a while since I studied film, but to me that sounds like far too broad of a question. Perhaps you could pick one country or region and focus on the development of its film industry, in the context of its history and social/cultural change?

I'm under the impression that you are seeking help for your final paper. As the above poster said, it is a way broad question. I'd suggest to meet up with your instructor/TA to discuss and narrow down the topic.

However, early film movements tend to be more formal than the later, due to its developmental stage (i.e., French New Wave can be interpreted as a way to establish film different from a film version of theatre production; don't take it as a face value by the way- it's only one of many factors that gave birth to one particular movement).