UMD School of Public Policy - Fall 2021

Scrambles

On 3/3/2021 at 12:28 AM, JerryC0610 said:

Hi Scrambles, I also applied to SPP and have not heard anything yet! But I see someone posted the admission. I am so stressed out on this lol.

Hey Jerry. I got an email today saying I got in, and asking me to take a survey, but nothing else. And my portal hasn't updated yet.

I'll let you know once I know more.

1 hour ago, Scrambles said:

Hey Jerry. I got an email today saying I got in, and asking me to take a survey, but nothing else. And my portal hasn't updated yet.

I'll let you know once I know more.

Congrats in advance I guess. You are applying to master's program right?

22 hours ago, visiblevariation said:

I applied for the MPP. Just got a short acceptance and survey email on March 4th. No word on funding yet. Congrats to everyone that got accepted, and good luck to all those waiting!

Same exact thing here. But I just got my acceptance letter and Financial Aid info today!

Got in-state tuition (out of state student) and a grad assistantship!

Congrats to you and here's hoping you get more info soon!

1 hour ago, Scrambles said:

Same exact thing here. But I just got my acceptance letter and Financial Aid info today!

Got in-state tuition (out of state student) and a grad assistantship!

Congrats to you and here's hoping you get more info soon!

Congrats! I also just got a similar acceptance email, but I've been waitlisted for funding. It seems like I have to provide some official documents for the Office of Int'l Student Services. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, mcrmpp said:

any of you thinking of committing? 

I’m seriously considering it. They‘ve definitely been one of the more generous schools I’ve applied to so far.

1 hour ago, Ontic said:

I’m seriously considering it. They‘ve definitely been one of the more generous schools I’ve applied to so far.

Me too. 10 hr grad assistantship + all that comes with that. Stuck between UMD and AU w/ half tuition. I believe they're sending out info on accepted student events soon which I'm looking forward to.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, Ontic said:

On 3/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, mcrmpp said:

Me too. 10 hr grad assistantship + all that comes with that. Stuck between UMD and AU w/ half tuition. I believe they're sending out info on accepted student events soon which I'm looking forward to.

Same here, I'm stuck between UMD and UT-Austin LBJ School. LBJ offered me no funding at all but they said they're reviewing my case. I feel like just committing to UMD and getting it over with though, just out of sheer principle that they were the school that wanted me enough to give me a GA.

22 hours ago, Scrambles said:

Same here, I'm stuck between UMD and UT-Austin LBJ School. LBJ offered me no funding at all but they said they're reviewing my case. I feel like just committing to UMD and getting it over with though, just out of sheer principle that they were the school that wanted me enough to give me a GA.

that's how I feel too. the GA stipend is also one of the best I've seen. I think I hesitate on name recognition

ETA: I'd also pay less there for tuition than I currently do for my in state university

Edited by mcrmpp

4 hours ago, mcrmpp said:

that's how I feel too. the GA stipend is also one of the best I've seen. I think I hesitate on name recognition

ETA: I'd also pay less there for tuition than I currently do for my in state university

For me, the closeness to DC outweighs the lack of name recognition. Even if its not Georgetown or GW, UMD is close enough that I don't think I'll have issues post-graduation, especially compared to my other choice.

My main issue is that the program I got into at LBJ allows me to specialize in the exact thing I want to, there's so much more freedom and resources for what I want to research and work in. Plus, the school overall seems a bit more organized than Maryland (I realize appearances can very much be deceiving in this case), they gave you information of the admitted student event immediately, the academic advisor for your program reached out personally (even though this was probably a pre-manufactured email), they invited all admitted students to a Canvas page with info on student life and the program and a discussion post where we could get to know each other.

This isn't to talk trash about Maryland by the way, even after all those little details, I STILL kind of feel like less of a cog in the machine with the communications I've had with UMD.

Edited by Scrambles

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. 

I applied to UMD MPP (international student), but I'm yet to get feedback from them. I did mailed them but was told my application is still under review. 

I am worried as to the reason for this long delay in getting a feedback especially when the April 15 deadline is getting closer.