SAIC, SVA, Columbia College Chicago, UNM? - MFA Photography

ThisNameWasTaken

Hi all. I've been accepted into these 4 programs for MFA Photography but I'm not really sure where to start as far as deciding. Haven't gotten aid offers yet. Can anyone comment on their experiences with the schools? My undergraduate degree wasn't in art so I'm unfamiliar with the art school vibe. What about SAIC? Does the name/prestige provide like an "Ivy League" benefit to one's career that other schools wouldn't? Would it provide a much bigger network/resources such that the higher cost would be worth it? If one of them gives me substantially more aid than the others, should I just automatically go there?

So far I really like the faculty at SAIC and Columbia, and SAIC guaranteeing assistantship jobs. I know living in New York to go to SVA would be more expensive than Chicago or definitely Albuquerque so I think it's last on my list. I don't live in any of these cities. The facilities at SAIC, Columbia, and UNM look amazing from what I've seen in virtual tours and I don't need a huge studio space. SAIC has the Art Institute and Columbia has the Museum of Contemporary Photography so that's helpful. 

Thoughts?

On 2/26/2021 at 6:33 PM, ThisNameWasTaken said:

Hi all. I've been accepted into these 4 programs for MFA Photography but I'm not really sure where to start as far as deciding. Haven't gotten aid offers yet. Can anyone comment on their experiences with the schools? My undergraduate degree wasn't in art so I'm unfamiliar with the art school vibe. What about SAIC? Does the name/prestige provide like an "Ivy League" benefit to one's career that other schools wouldn't? Would it provide a much bigger network/resources such that the higher cost would be worth it? If one of them gives me substantially more aid than the others, should I just automatically go there?

So far I really like the faculty at SAIC and Columbia, and SAIC guaranteeing assistantship jobs. I know living in New York to go to SVA would be more expensive than Chicago or definitely Albuquerque so I think it's last on my list. I don't live in any of these cities. The facilities at SAIC, Columbia, and UNM look amazing from what I've seen in virtual tours and I don't need a huge studio space. SAIC has the Art Institute and Columbia has the Museum of Contemporary Photography so that's helpful. 

Thoughts?

You've got a big decision ahead of you! I also applied to Columbia College and SAIC. I heard back from Columbia College and I also have been really impressed with the faculty there. I haven't head from SAIC yet, when did you hear from them? I feel like I'm constantly checking my email and it is driving me crazy haha.