Reapplying for Admissions

yayherecomesliz

Alright. So I didn't get accepted to the school of choice (after being waitlisted) so I plan on reapplying next year despite being admitted elsewhere. Does anyone have experience doing this? Do you think it will improve my chances if I indicate that I was previously waitlisted to the program on my statement of purpose when reapplying? Any feedback welcome! =)

I wouldn't reference it in your SOP. If the school is organized at all then they should know that you previously applied and that the outcome was that you were on the waitlist. Instead, focus on what you perceive to be the reasons for being waitlisted and not fully admitted (weak SOP or GRE, etc). I don't see why you should address it directly.

Isn't there usually a spot in the application where you indicate if you're reapplying? What do you plan on doing to improve your application this time around?

The only way I would reference your previous application is if you did something in the meantime to greatly improve it, especially if that something is something the admissions committee specifically told you. For example, one of the schools I was rejected from told me that I would have a much better chance of being accepted if I earned a MA, so that's what I'm doing in the meantime before I reapply.

If nothing on your application has changed, I would not remind the committee of your previous rejection. They will probably recognize you and give your application a second look anyway.

This is slightly unrelated, but hey it makes me feel good, one of the people on this week's Jeopardy Tournament of Champions tried out for Jeopardy 7 times before getting on the show. Persistence pays off.

Edited by lily_